Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

pt cruiser: wont start..Starter solenoid clicks..relay..New starter

02 pt cruiser won't start. Starter solenoid clicks n so does relay. New starter btw. At first I thought starter was the problem, so I got a new one. But apparently that's not the problem. I'm thinking it's the ignition circuit but need more help.
Hello!

How much voltage does the starter and starter solenoid get with the key in the crank position?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Gets battery Voltage...actually just got it to start, but it's likely to happen again...what should I look for?
If it gets battery voltage to BOTH the starter and solenoid when it does not crank over and it has a new starter, then chances are it just has a bad engine ground. The engine block is the ground for the starter motor so check and clean all engine grounds
Hello!

I see you have left me a negative rating. What can I clear up for you so we can get this fixed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well ok, it was a bit helpful. But would the ground be the only problem?
Based on what your telling me YES! but if you don't have power down at the starter then NO. Chances are you did not check this and have provided me with incorrect information and now have hurt my rating.

PLEASE LISTEN

If you DO NOT have power down at the starter solenoid WHEN the starter is not working, then it could be anything in the starting circuit. Starter relay, wiring, ignition switch or even a bad transmission range switch.