Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

2004 Chrysler pacifica: replace the timing belt and water pump ... 3.5l

I need to replace the...
I need to replace the timing belt and water pump on a 2004 chrysler pacifica with a 3.5l engine. What are the procedures to do this?
4/23/2012
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

here are directions;

CAUTION
Fuel injection systems remain under pressure, even after the engine has been turned off. The fuel system pressure must be relieved before disconnecting any fuel lines. Failure to do so may result in fire and/or personal injury.

1. Loosen the valve train rocker assemblies before servicing the timing components.
  2. Release the fuel system pressure using the recommended procedure.
  3. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable
    Cylinder head covers
    Accessory drive belts
    Drive belt tensioner
    Power steering pump bolts and position the pump aside
    Crankshaft damper with a quality puller tool gripping the inside of the pulley
    Lower front timing belt cover retainers

4. Support the engine with a floor jack.

Air cleaner assembly
    Front engine mount
    Fuel supply line from the rail
    Upper timing belt cover bolts and the cover

5. If the timing belt is to be reused, mark the timing belt with the running direction for installation.
    WARNING
    Always align the timing marks always use the crankshaft to rotate the engine. Failure to do this will result in severe engine damage.

6. Rotate the engine clockwise until the crankshaft mark aligns with the Top Dead Center (TDC) mark on the oil pump housing and the camshaft sprocket timing marks align with the marks on the rear cover.
  7. Remove the timing belt tensioner and the belt.
  8. Pre-load the timing belt tensioner as follows:
    1. Place tensioner in a vise the same way it is mounted on the engine.
    2. Slowly compress the plunger into the tensioner body.
    3. Once the plunger is compressed, install a pin through the body and plunger to retain it in place until the tensioner is installed.

graphic

Fig. View of the timing belt alignment marks-3.5L engine

View of the timing belt alignment marks-3.5L engine

graphic

Fig. Pre-load the timing belt tensioner-3.5L engine

Pre-load the timing belt tensioner-3.5L engine

To install:

WARNING
If the camshafts have moved from the timing marks always rotate them towards the direction nearest the to the timing marks. Never turn the camshafts a full turn or sever engine damage will occur.

1. Align the crankshaft sprocket with the TDC mark on the oil pump.
  2. Align the camshaft sprockets timing marks with the mark on the rear cover.
  3. Install the belt starting at the crankshaft sprocket going in a counterclockwise direction. Install the belt around the last sprocket always maintaining tension on the belt as it is positioned around the tensioner pulley.
    NOTE
    If the camshaft gears have been removed it is only necessary to have the camshaft gear retaining bolts installed to a snug torque at this time.

4. Holding the tensioner pulley against the belt, install the tensioner into the housing and tighten to 250 inch lbs. (28 Nm) making sure all the alignment marks remain aligned. Pull the pin from the tensioner and allow the tensioner to extend to the pulley bracket.
  5. Rotate the crankshaft sprocket 2 full turns and check the timing marks on the cam and crank shafts. Make sure the marks are aligned, if not repeat the procedure.
  6. If the camshafts were removed using a dial indicator, position the number 1 piston at TDC.
  7. Hold the camshaft sprocket hex with a 36mm wrench and tighten the right camshaft sprocket bolt to 75 ft. lbs. (102 Nm) plus an additional 90 degree turn. Tighten the left camshaft sprocket bolt to 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm) plus an additional 90 degree turn.
  8. Remove the dial indicator. Install the spark plug and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
  9. Remove the camshaft alignment tools from the back of the cylinder heads and install the cam covers with new O-rings.

Upper timing belt cover and bolts
    Fuel supply line to the rail
    Front engine mount
    Air cleaner assembly
    Lower front timing belt cover retainers
    Crankshaft damper
    Power steering pump and bolts
    Drive belt tensioner
    Accessory drive belts
    Cylinder head covers
    Negative battery cable
  1. Negative battery cable
    Coolant recovery cap and open the thermostat bleed valve
    Timing belt

Water pump mounting bolts and pump. Discard the O-ring seal.

2. Clean the gasket sealing surfaces, being careful not to scratch the aluminum surfaces.

graphic

Fig. Location of the water pump mounting bolts-3.5L engine

Location of the water pump mounting bolts-3.5L engine

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:
    WARNING
    Rotate the pump and check for freedom of movement.

New O-ring and coat with dielectric grease prior to installation
    Water pump with a new O-ring. Torque the water pump-to-engine bolts to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).

Timing belt

2. Fill the cooling system.
  3. Reconnect the negative battery cable. Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperatures.
  4. Check the cooling system for leaks and correct coolant level.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager