How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kennyb28 Your Own Question
Kennyb28, Service Manager
Category: Chrysler
Satisfied Customers: 355
Experience:  Many years of hands on experience
Type Your Chrysler Question Here...
Kennyb28 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Chrysler Town & Country Touring: The power liftgate cylinder

Customer Question

The power liftgate cylinder on my 2008 T&C has disconnected and I can't reseat it. I need a diagram of the part to know if mine is broken and how to fix/replace. Help
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Kennyb28 replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm Kenny and ready to get started helping you. Is the plastic retainer still inside the socket for the rod? This is what holds it in place and if it came out or broke this will cause the problem your describing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am describing this from memory since I am at work so you will have to bear with me. The end I am referring to is attached to the lift gate itself. There is a plastic piece on the end of the rod that is about thumb sized (possibly used to depress with thumb) the other end appears to be metal, cyclindrical and slightly larger at the far end.


It doesn't appear to be broken/snapped

Expert:  Kennyb28 replied 5 years ago.
If the retainer is still in the link then the retainer is most likely worn out and not holding on the stud. Either that or the stud is damaged, but most likely the retainer is the issue and needs replaced. For a picture of what I'm talking about you can download it from HERE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The image helped. The retained is not attached to the stud end of the cylinder so it must be in the link (with in the wall panel?). Do I simply order a new retainer? Any tips on how to get the old/wornout retainer from within the link? I am assuming I will need to take the panel off that surrounds the gate opening, correct?

Expert:  Kennyb28 replied 5 years ago.
Yes you need to remove the panel to gain access tot he other end of the rod. You will have to replace the link as you can't just get the retainer as it is not designed to be removed from the link. It just slides in and out to release and lock the link into place.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. If the link is not suppose to seperate from the rod does that mean I can expect to buy a whole new rod assembly when I go to the dealership? Anything else I need to be aware of as I tackle this. I just realized that I can attach a picture, so I will run out to the van snap a picture and submit to make sure we are talking about the same thing. I send in 5 min.
Expert:  Kennyb28 replied 5 years ago.
yes you need the rod assembly
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Kennyb28 replied 5 years ago.
OK....The rod is fine you have a problem with the pivot on the door itself. You need to replace the pivot bracket. It is number 2 in this picture you can download from HERE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you resize the image and resend? The only number I can see is 1 & 4. If 2 is to the right in this picture does that mean that the ball end of the pivot broke off and is in the end of the rod? I would just need to buy pivot bracket and pull the ball end out of the rod end, correct? Thanks for you help.
Expert:  Kennyb28 replied 5 years ago.
Correct buy the bracket and remove the broken piece from the rod. For a better picture click HERE
Kennyb28 and other Chrysler Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks again for your help, sorry it took so long to get to the bottom of it.


All set!

Expert:  Kennyb28 replied 5 years ago.

Great......Thank You!