Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

1998 Chrysler: lx..locking..automatic transmission..218,000 miles

Customer Question
1998 Chrysler town and LX...
1998 Chrysler town and LX I. teves anti-locking breaking with traction control 3.8 L automatic transmissionXXXXX front disc brakes, rear drum brakes,
218,000 miles
I've replaced the following parts:
front brake calipers, front brake rotors, front brake pads.
Rear brake shoes, rear brake drums Newbridge true hardware.
I bled the basic brakes ABS brakes, basic brakes, per manufacturers guidelines. Snap on scanner was used to bleed the ABS system.
The van pulls to the right when stepping on the brake, wanderers the left when driving. The left caliper is hard to bleed, and also hard to collapse the piston. Right side works normal. During in ABS stop with the left wheel slipping, left front brake drags. During the right wheel ABS stop, the brake releases normally.

I am looking at replacing the master cylinder, or the hydraulic control unit.
The problem with replacing the hydraulic control unit is the brake lines or so rusted I would probably have to make all new brake lines, and that is something I do not want to do.
Replacing the master cylinder I don't know if this is an X. split System. If it is a x split configuration, then maybe one of the master cylinder ports is not passing fluid or returning foot.

Yeah my wits end, and a little but of direction. Looking to your expertise in these ABS unit's.
The hydraulic control unit, even the crack the lines will be a nightmare due to the rusted brake lines.
The master cylinder: I have cracked the lines.
Replacing the rear brake lines, which are severely rusted, from the hydraulic control unit to the rear brakes will be a very big job, and I would know what to do since they have flexible lines near the hydraulic control unit.
Please help
Don
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Chrysler
12/21/2011
Chrysler Mechanic: Amedee, Chrysler Technician replied 5 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Hello Don!

My name isCustomerXXXXX I will try and help you with your ABS and braking issue.

Have you verified that all brakes work and that each wheel is getting brake fluid when stepping on the brake pedal?

You have not replaced the master cylinder as of yet.. correct?

yes all are getting fluid but the rt ft is hard to get fuild out of

i have not replace the mc

Ok.. if all of the lines going to the right front are clear of any sort of obstructions/kinks, then this type of issue is 9 times out of 10 a bad master cylinder. I would honestly replace the master cylinder and go from there. CHances are this will take care of your issue.

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still repost or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost and I will be more than happy to continue to work with you until you are happy.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards
<br/Customer
is that mc a x split system rf lr - lf rr
YUP! You got it!
swapped out mc no change. before i cracked the mc lines i dismounted the caliper and applied a c clamp, would not return. i then cracked the mc lines and lf caliper wold not return. with mc remve lf caliper will not retract. i then cracked the brake hose to line connection on the Lf and the caliper retracted. so it has to be between the Lf hose to line connection and mc line
YUP! Thats it! Something is obstructing fluid flow to that left front caliper.

You might just have to run a new brake line and or brake hose..

i cracked the line at the LF hose to line connection and line to HYD unit and was able to push fluid out each loation by retracting the LF caliper piston. I belive that the LF hose and LF line to HYD CAB is fine. I think that the ABS CAB LF inlet or Outlet valve is stuck or restricted to a point of no fluid flowing. Unless i can clean out the ABS vlaves, i will have to replace the ABS unit, and in turn all new brake lines. is there a proportioning valve in this system, and could it give my symtoms. The replacement of the master cylinder was a waste of a 100.00 and several christmas presents for the kids.

So:

1. does this system have a proportioning valve? and would it cause no flow in the LF line.

2. Can the valves in the abs hyd unit be cleaned if they are stuck?

3. i have lined up an ABS unit, but in replacing this unit, I will end up in replacing all the brake lines, are the rear brakelines available from mopar and what cost.

Thanks

Don

Hello!

Sorry for the delay!

YES.. there is a proportioning valve located on the left frame frame rail. It will look something like this.

Click here

YES.. if the lines are clear and you can move fluid through them, then I would agree, it is going to be a bad ABS hydraulic unit or a bad proportioning valve.

I have never cleaned valves in the ABS unit nor have I heard or anyone doing it successfully. You can of course still give it a try.. it could not hurt.

I have never used brake lined from the dealership. I have been doing brake lines for years and we just use brake lines from a local auto parts store and bending them accordingly to fit the vehicle.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician