Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Chrysler Town & Country wont start

My 2005 Town & Country...
My 2005 Town & Country won't start. When I try to strart it, the kights come on, but no dash indicators. The battery is charged.  Te first time  tried to start it,it ran for about 1 seconds and then stopped.  I tried a few more times and it started but then stopped.  After tha, it would not even attempt to turn over, but yet the headlites would come on as soon as the key was turned.  The radio and interior lites come on, but the door locks and power windows do not work.
11/13/2011
Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician

Scott :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will gladly assist you with your vehicle concern.

Scott :

Looking at the above diagram, you will see a Yellow/Gray and a Red wire at the starter. The Yl/Gray wire is the feed to the solenoid to energize the starter. It should have battery voltage when the ignition switch is turned to start.

Scott :

The big red wire should be HOT {batt voltage} at all times.

Scott :

What needs to be done first, is the voltage needs to be verified at both locations. If you get voltage, the starter is most likely going to be bad. If you are missing voltage, you will need to back track on that leg.

Customer:

Why would my headlites come on as soon as I try to start the car? I have the headlite switch off.

Scott :

do the lamps energize w/ key on, or when cranking?

Customer:

The energize as soon as I turn on the key.

Scott :

Not knowing your sub model, do you have auto lamps.

Customer:

No. I also don't get any dash lite indicators when I try to start the van.

Scott :

Also with Key on?

Customer:

I just went out to try to start it again. When I turn the key I get no sound or indication that electrons are going to the starter. The headlites come on, even with the switch off, the radio comes on, but no dash indicator lites.

Scott :

o.k. one moment

Scott :

In the under hood fuse block {Integrated Control Module} check Fuse 24, 20 amp for voltage on both sides.

Customer:

OK. One moment.

Scott :

This powers the BCM and the Instrument cluster

Customer:

Is this the 20 amp "12V OUT IGN OR BATT" fuse? The fuse box cover doesn't number the fuses.

Customer:

See my comment above.

Customer:

I'm confused. So which fuse is the "integrated Control module"/

Scott :

The fuse and relay block is called the I.C.M.

Customer:

I see it in your diagram, but whee is it on the image of the fuse box that you sent me a few minutes ago?

Scott :

Looking at the diagram with relation to the ICM, fuse 24 is almost to the lower left corner.

Full Size Image

Customer:

OK. I'll go check it, but on my cover it is labeled ""HZD LP".

Scott :

I would not surprise me in the least that Chry had either screw up the diagram or the cover.

Customer:

I have now checked every fuse in the fuse module and the are good.

Scott :

all have power?

Scott :

Looking good, and power at either side with key on makes a big difference.

Customer:

As near as I can tell, there is power.

Scott :

Test lamp, meter?

Customer:

Test lamp.

Scott :

O.K. Go to the starter and verify the voltage at the Yellow Gray when in start position and hot all the time on the big red battery feed at the starter. From there we will work back.

Customer:

Will do. Will be back. I should mention that the horn honks!!!

Scott :

WAIT!

Scott :

When does the horn honk?

Customer:

Nothing at the starter. Here's another strange thing. When I turn on the headlite switch with the ignition switch off, the lites do not come on, but th bell to tell me they are on starts to ring.

Customer:

The horn honks whenever I push on it, even with the key out of the switch.

Scott :

Do you have another key? If so, lock and unlock the door using the key, and see if the vehicle starts. It sounds like you have an SKREES issue.

Customer:

Let me try it. When I use the hi-tech key, I ca't lock the doors with it, nor can I open up any of the sliding doors with this key. Be right back.

Customer:

You nailed it, Man!!! I took a regular key (with no electronics in it) and locked and unlocked the door about 6 times. When I put the regular hi-tech key in, the dash lites came on and it started!!1 Now I have a "check engine" lite but that is probably due to all the problems I had with the SKREES, right?

Scott :

The Horn was the ticket. Information is an important thing. You will need to either go to a shop that is capable of dealing with this system or the dealer. My shop has the Snap On MODIS, and our software allows us to work on these, but you will have to get deeper on this system, and only a compatible scanner will do it.

Customer:

Thanks alot. How do I get an extra $20 to you?

Scott :

I will garantee you that you had a SKREES failure event, and that is why the lamp is on.

Scott :

There is a bonus in the drop down menue... or so I was told.

Customer:

So if I click on the "Accept" box, I will get that option?

Scott :

I have never been on your end, but that is what Just Answer has told me.

Let me thank you in advance for the Accept and the bonus. It is greatly appreciated during these tough times.

Customer:

Thaks, Scott. Again, you nailed it!!!

Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Scott
Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician