Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Gear shift wont shift out of park, what can I do to get it in gear?

Customer Question
my gear shift won't shift...
my gear shift won't shift out of park, what can I do to get it in gear?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/21/2011
Chrysler Mechanic: Ron Z., - Chrysler Tech - replied 6 years ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chrysler Tech -

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

Do you have a floor shifter or a column shifter?

floor

This is actually a HUGE problem for Dodge/Chrysler, and they have issued a Recall (of sorts) #K39. THe problem is a broken srping retainer internal of the shifter assembly. The recall will have them remove the shifter assembly, and "rebuild" it for you, absolutely Free. Unfortunately, due to the location of the break, not even the "over-ride" procedure will work.

Here is the "offical" word from Dodge/Chrysler:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer Satisfaction Notification K39

Transmission Shifter Interlock Lever

At Chrysler Group LLC, you can be assured that we are changing the way we look at quality. To prove our commitment to quality, the company is investing in and prioritizing improvements for every vehicle that we build. As part of that commitment, we are also targeting existing vehicles on the road today and contacting our customers to provide these quality improvements, at no charge, that will help to improve your ownership satisfaction.

We are recommending the following improvements be performed on some 2005 through 2007 model year Dodge Charger, Magnum and Chrysler 300 equipped with a floor shifter.

The transmission gear shift lever interlock return spring hook on your vehicle may break. A broken interlock return spring hook will result in the inability to move the gear shift lever out of the "PARK" position.

What your dealer will do:
Chrysler will service your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will replace the transmission shifter interlock lever. The work will take about one hour to complete. We recommend that you make an appointment with your dealer to minimize your inconvenience

What you should do:
Simply contact your Chrysler, Jeep, or Dodge dealer, at your convenience, to schedule a service appointment. Your dealer will collect the necessary information to ensure that the appropriate parts are available so your service can be completed in a timely manner. Although not required, we recommend bringing this letter with you to your dealer, when you bring your vehicle in for this service.

If you need help:
Please contact the Chrysler Group Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403.

i called my local chrysler dealer and theysaid its not covered under any recall, I have an 06 300
Untrue. The above recall letter is issued directly from Dodge/Chrysler. Call the 1-800 above and reference "Recall K39" - if i had a nickle for every time i've answered this question, i'd be rich!

If you've called the 1-800 above (not just a local Dealer! They hate doing ANYTHING for FREE) and are still not having any luck (which should NOT be the case), then the shifter assembly will need to be replaced. Below is an image of the broken spring retainer.

graphic