bill
bill, chrysler master tech
Experience:  25 years with chrysler drivability and electrical expert
5203640

Chrysler 300 C where is the oil pressure sensor located on

where is the oil pressure sensor located on a 2005 Chrysler 300 with a hemi? How hard is it to replace it?

bill :

hi i'm bill welcome to just answer please remember I am NOT there in front of you! my answers are based on your information

bill :

give me 1 second to look up where it is

Customer:

I have unlimited answers that I pay for every month. Did I ask the question on the wrong page ?

bill :

no you are in chat with a chrysler technition i am 99% sure of where the oil pressure sender is i just am looking for a picture to send you

bill :

the standard time to replace the oil pressure sending unit is 1 hour so it will take a bit of time

bill :

it is located on the right (passenger side) of the engine just above the oil filter

bill :

you will need to remove the belly pan to get at it and work under the car it is quite tight with the hemi so be sure the engine is cool

Customer:

this answer is covered under my unlimited subscription isnt it?

bill :

it should be BUT you must still click accept at the end to complete the question

Customer:

if the sensor is not working would it cause the check engine light to stay on? Could the person who changed the oil have messed up the sensor?

bill :

yes the check engine light can stay on with a faulty oil pressure sensor

bill :

you would have to be VERY careless to damage the oil pressure sensor on the hemi

bill :

it sits ABOVE the oil filter so the oil filter wrench should not touch it

Customer:

It is a one way switch and oil pressure drops when the oil is changed. Would you go back to the same shop who has been changing your oil?

bill :

i do not under stand what you mean, your hemi does not have a oil pressure sending unit like the older cars we use an actual sensor that sends information to the engine computer which calcuates the oil pressure while the engine is running it then sends that information to the instrument cluster (another computer) which determines wether or not to turn on the oil pressure warning light.

bill :

i like to have my grand cherokee hemi serviced at the dealer only since the hemi requires 5W20 oil ONLY i knbow i will get it at teh dealer plus the price is quite competitive with the quick lube shops, at least here in the north east

bill :

sorry about th emisspellings fat fingers

Customer:

Its not the oil light that comes on its the check engine light and Chrysler told me the sensor was bad. Could the wrong type of oil cause the sensor to go out or lack of oil pressure from a bad oil change?

bill :

wrong oil type can cause lots of problems but where this sensor is located it is VERY unlikely it is possible the sensor simply has given up the ghost to say in 22 years i hav ereplaced many oil pressure senders/sensors many while still under factory warranty many just out of warranty and many around 100,000 miles.

bill :

this sensoe like all the sensors on your engine are very robust but can fail with out much notice

bill :

the only oil pressure sensors i can remember actually being damaged by carelessness on the oil changer's part were on the older cherokee's they were in such a place that they were often broken by careless lube tech's

Customer:

So if I change the sensor the check engine should go off if nothing else is wrong with my car. It runs great but I have to get it smogged and cant with check engine light on

bill :

that is correct you will need a scan tool to clear the code and you must drive the car to reset the monitors the local dmv is looking for to pass your smog check

bill :

i would have the sensor done by a pro to be safe it is in a tight spot that requires you to be under the car and remove the alternator mounting bolts to acess it

Customer:

To have it done by a pro it will cost $310 does that sound about right?

Customer:

Also how much does the part cost?

bill :

depends on the labor rate but the sensor is about 60.00 and an hour 's labor should not add up to 310.00 we get 90.00/hour where i work so 90.00+60.00+tax = about 150.00 ,200 is max i would pay you can call the dealer yourself and get the current price the part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Customer:

That was the price the dealer gave me. lol thank you so much for your help. sorry it was hard to understand the questions but my husband is an idiot and made me type it like that. thank you lol