Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

The van won''t start..light comes..dash board..clicking noise

I am having a recurring...
I am having a recurring problem with my 2006 town and country van. the van won't start. a small red light comes on in the dash board and the van makes a clicking noise, and will not turn over. I brought it to a shop and they couldn't find out what was wrong. the van set for four days and started up again. now it has happend again. can u help me
8/3/2011
Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Hello!

Did you still need help?

What color ignition key do you have?

Are there any codes in the computer?
i have a black 3 botton key and dont know if there is any codes in computer but if u r asking if i have to put a code n no i dont
Are there any anti theft or security lights on or flashing when trying to start the vehicle?
there is this one red dot on the dash by speedometer and the temp gagde and the trans. light is staying on also the airbag light is staying on there is also a knocking noise coming from the area of the fuse box but as long as the red dot is on then it wont crank
How many volts does the battery have?
dont know its the battery that goes with it had the battery checked and it fine
What size engine do you have?

Can I get your VIN?
van on side the road and its a v6
Did it stall out or just not start all of a sudden?
the first time it just wouldn't start and now it stalled out.

Have you tried using another ignition key?
all I have is one that is all they gave me.
Ok.. it sounds to me like you could just have a bad sensor/module on board your vehicle causing this issue. IT sounds to me like the PCM is either not waking up or the security system has kicked in for some reason.

Unfortunately, there is no a whole lot you can do with the vehicle on the side of the road. I can walk you through some tests if you would like.. but it sounds to me like you have a bad module on board your vehicle causing this issue.

Just be sure that battery, fuses and connections all check out ok.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than the most truthful most honest information possible. I hope you understand.
what is the pmc and what sensor or module could it be. when i put it in the shop i would like to have some kind idea so they can't get over on me. what kind of tests are they? I am sure they could help me.
They would use a scanner in order to communicate with the on board modules.

Chances are you are talking about the PCM This is the powertrain control module.
There is also the TCM, SKIM and or SKREEM module. Integrated front module/BCM and even the instrument cluster and air bag module. There are several of them.

Also, they will check your battery voltage with a voltmeter and check to see if your starter motor is getting a signal when turning the key to the crank position.
I would like u to walk me through the test you talked about. A little more information I could tell you to maybe help the situation that i omitted is in trying to start the van my son took all the fuses out of the van on the inside and put them back and the van started and drove for a half of a mile and then it stalled out. forgive me for not telling u that.
NO problem!

Start by checking for 5 volts at the map sensor with the key on.

Let me know!
how do u check the volts. do I need to buy something to check it?
YES.. you need a voltmeter to measure voltage.
I can buy that from a parts store?
You got it!

Or you can purchase it on line like on amazon.com or something like that. You do not need to spend over 30 bucks
I am going to get a ride to the parts store, the part is 24.99 and is there any way I can contact u. and is that the only sensor i need to check?
There will be a serious of tests we are going to run depending on what you find at the tps sensor.

Also, check the battery voltage as well as the voltage at the starter with the key in the crank position.
how do I get in touch with u to let u know?
Just respond back to me on this page and I will get it.
U have been soooo helpful to me!!!!! i really want to thank you for your information. Do I hit the accept button now or when I finish sorting out this problem
You can hit the green accept button now and we can still continue our conversation as needed. I will be on line all day today to answer any of your questions.
Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
what about tommorow. I want to stay talking with u so i don't have to go through this all over again.
YES.. I will be on line tomorrow too
ok gonna hit the button please don't go away! lol lol I will get back with u when I test the map sensor. Thank you very much. no one has help me like you did. I love this site. Again thanks
You bet!

Thanks for the accept!

I will be looking forward to your reply!
hello amedee
Hello!

What have we found?
The map senors read 6volts and the lights lit up
Is this with the key on?

What wire are you testing for voltage at the map sensor?
yes the key was on and he didn't see a wire he put the volt meter on top of the sensor where would the wire be located?
YES.. there should be three wires going to the map sensor. Only one wire should have 5 volts with the key on. It should not go higher than 5 volts..
where is the map sensor located?
It should be located right in front on top by the intake manifold..
I am going to have it towed because It seem to hard for my son to try to fix but I will let you know what they said it was
SOunds good!
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician