Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

2002 PT Cruiser: struts..bushings..the right front but if I put torque

Customer Question
I Have a 2002 PT...
I Have a 2002 PT Cruiser I change the two control arms two new struts stablizer bushings and links upper and lower toursion arms but every time I turn to the right I get a klonk noise on the right front but if I put torque on the engine and turn to the left and right I get no noise
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chrysler
7/24/2011
Chrysler Mechanic: snapontech, Mechanic replied 6 years ago
snapontech
snapontech, Mechanic

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer

snapontech :

Have you checked the engine and transmission mounts? The next thing I would inspect is the wheel bearing and Wheel Axle one of these can also cause the noise. Suspension can be the problem as well front strut can be worn causing the clunk when you turn. I dont know the exact noise but I want to give you all of the options in that specific area and clunking happening

snapontech :

I would suspect the strut on this particular issue

snapontech :

These can be a pain to diagnose but when they get weak they will clunk

Customer:

the upper and lower mounts are new also , the struts I just put in new

snapontech :

So the strut is new then there is not much left to cause this

snapontech :

I believe it maybe the wheel bearing or CV shaft causing your problem

snapontech :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Why is it only when there is no touqe on the engine it will make a klonk noise on the right side when there is tourqe there is no noise the wheel bearing and CV are new

snapontech :

If you have replaced everything then you have something wrong with what you replaced

snapontech :

It will not clunk if everything has been replaced and is tight

snapontech :

If its clunking without torque when you turn a corner this indicates the strut to me

Customer:

If You take and weave left to right it will nake the clunking to the right but if you put tourqe on the engine and weave left to right it will not make a noise

snapontech :

Interesting

snapontech :

This really sounds like a problem with the wheel bearing which is all in the axle

snapontech :

You stated you have replaced this

Customer:

yes I even jacked the right side up and put a bar in the wheel and tried to move it and there is nothing

Customer:

if it is the wheel bearing it would do it under pressure and no pressure

snapontech :

Honestly when your weaving it can do it no matter what speed your at

snapontech :

I am really not sure here since you have replaced everything already and nothing seems to be wrong its hard to help

Customer:

and you would fell it in the steering wheel this is not the case you can fell it on the right front floor

snapontech :

Did you replace the sway bar?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

I have spent over 600 in the front end

snapontech :

In my professional opinion if the wheel bearing is good Then it has to be within the sway bar bushings and end links

snapontech :

I can opt out and allow another tech to help you if your sure thats not the problem

Customer:

The sway bar bushings and end links are new

snapontech :

Ok I will opt out maybe someone else can help with this matter

Chrysler Mechanic: Chad, Lead Master Tech replied 6 years ago
Chad
Chad, Lead Master Tech
Does this sound like what you are experiencing?
Vehicle may exhibit a popping/clicking/snapping/ticking sound from the front hub/half shaft
area during acceleration after Drive to Reverse or Reverse to Drive shifts. The sound may
also be present while turning and accelerating from a stop.
No It does not happen from reverse to drive and drive to reverse only when your driving
At any point in the time you was replacing parts on your car, did you have the knuckle/ hub bearing off of the axle shaft?
no
Could you perform this procedure for me? Just like it says.
In order to determine if the popping/clicking/snapping/ticking sound is coming from the
front hub/half shaft interface, perform the following procedure:
1. Raise the vehicle on an appropriate hoist and remove both front wheels.
2. Remove the cotter pin, nut lock, and wave washer from the end of both front half
shafts.
3. With the vehicle's brakes applied to keep hub from turning, loosen both half shaft nuts
to zero torque.
4. With the service brake applied, shift the vehicle from Drive to Reverse and Reverse to
Drive. Once the transmission is engaged in gear, raise the engine speed to 1800 rpm.
5. If the sound is not present, perform the Repair Procedure. If the sound is still present,
the source of the sound is elsewhere.
it still makes the clunk
Have you checked the rack mount bolts and sub frame bolts for being torqued?
while on the lift it made no noise
In your last post, you said it still made the noise
I need to know, while you did the test I asked about, did it or did it not make the noise?
I just told you it made no noise
You need to install these.
2- 04809863AB, Gasket/Washer, Axle (1 per side)
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Raise the vehicle.
2. Remove the half shaft nut.
3. Remove the wheel and tire assembly from the vehicle.
4. Remove the two front disc brake caliper adapter to steering knuckle attaching bolts
5. Remove the disc brake caliper assembly from the steering knuckle. The caliper
assembly is removed by first rotating the top of the caliper assembly away from the
steering knuckle and then removing the bottom of the assembly out from under the
machined abutment on the steering knuckle.
6. Support the disc brake caliper assembly by using a wire hook and suspending it from
the strut assembly.
7. Remove the brake rotor from the hub and bearing assembly.
8. If the vehicle is equipped with eccentric bolts attaching the steering knuckle to the strut
assembly, proceed to next step. If not, proceed to step 10.
9. Mark the head of the eccentric bolt and the strut, so that the bolt can be installed in the
same position later.
10. Remove the wheel speed sensor bolt.
11. Remove the steering knuckle-to-strut attachment bolts from the steering knuckle.
12. Pull the steering knuckle from the strut clevis bracket.
NOTE: Care must be taken not to separate the inner C/V joint during this operation.
Do not allow half shaft to hang by inner C/V joint after removing outer C/V
joint from the hub/bearing assembly in steering knuckle, the outboard end of
the half shaft must be supported.
13. Pull the steering knuckle assembly down and away from the outer C/V joint while
pulling the C/V joint out of the hub bearing.
14. Support the outer end of the half shaft assembly.
NOTE: The rubber gasket is to be installed as is (after removing the paper backing).
The gasket should not be cut in any way.
15. Slide the gasket/washer p/n, 04809863AB, over the C/V joint splines to the C/V joint
surface.
16. Grasp the inner tripod joint and interconnecting shaft. Forcefully push the tripod joint
into side gear of the transaxle, be sure the snap-ring is engaged with the transaxle
side gear.
17. Clean all debris and moisture out of steering knuckle, in the area were outer CV joint
will be installed into steering knuckle.
18. Clean the C/V joint surface.
19. Ensure that the front of the outer CV joint which fits against the face of the hub and
bearing is free of debris and moisture before installing the outer CV joint into the hub
and bearing assembly.
20. Slide the half shaft back into the front hub and bearing assembly.
21. Install the wheel speed sensor bolt and torque it to 12 Nm (105 in. lbs.).
22. Install the steering knuckle in the clevis bracket of the strut assembly. Install the strut
to steering knuckle attaching bolts. If the eccentric bolt and strut was marked in step 9,
align the marks. Tighten both bolts to a torque of 88 Nm (65 ft. lbs.) plus an additional
1/4 turn.
23. Install the brake rotor on the hub and bearing assembly.
24. Install the disc brake caliper assembly on the steering knuckle. The caliper is installed by first sliding the bottom of the caliper assembly under the abutment on the steering knuckle, and then rotating the top of the caliper against the top abutment.
25. Install the disc brake caliper adapter to steering knuckle attaching bolts.
Tighten the disc brake caliper adapter attaching bolts to a torque of 169 Nm (125 ft.
lbs.).
26. Clean all foreign matter from the threads of the outer CV joint. Install the washer and
half shaft nut on half shaft and securely tighten the nut (the nut will be torqued later).
27. Install the front wheel and tire assembly. Install and tighten the wheel mounting stud
nuts in proper sequence until all the nuts are torqued to half the required specification.
Then repeat the tightening sequence to the full specified torque of 135 Nm (100 ft.
lbs.).
28. Repeat steps 2 through 27 on the other side of the vehicle. When steps 2 through 25
have been completed on both sides of the vehicle, lower the vehicle.
29. With the vehicle's brakes applied to keep hub from turning, tighten the hub nut to a
torque of 244 Nm (180 ft. lbs.) .
30. Install the spring wave washer on the end of the half shaft.
31. Install the hub nut lock, and a new cotter pin. Wrap the cotter pin prongs tightly around the hub nut lock.
32. Repeat steps 29 through 31 on the other side of the vehicle.
If it is the bearing or CV joint it would do it all the time it only does it out off toque and hitting a good size bump. If you dont know what it is dont make different areas
I did not say it was CV joint or the bearing.
This involves installing a rubber gasket to the face of the half shaft that mounts to the hub bearing.
If I install a ruber gasket to the face of the half shaft what will that do for the clunk when you hit a bump
I don't know. You only mentioned in you above post that it made the noise when hitting a bump.
It is possible for the noise to be gone after installing this rubber gasket.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Chad
Chad
Chad, Lead Master Tech