Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

2002 Chrysler Sebring: 2.7 litre engine, convertible..Speedometer

Customer Question
2002 Chrysler Sebring LXI, 2.7...
2002 Chrysler Sebring LXI, 2.7 litre engine, convertible. Speedometer not working,check engine light on, transmission not up shifting out of low gear manually or otherwise. Gear select indicator not lighting up as to what gear car is in. I replaced the output speed sensor & sensor plug which I assume was the sensor nearest the left side front tire. Still have same problem. Also replaced car battery which was original, check engine light went out but still having the other above listed problems. Could it be any of the following: TCM, Solenoid pack, input speed sensor, gear position sensor, or something internal that operates with the speed sensors?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chrysler
7/10/2011
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem is that the TCM isn't awake. It could be a lost power or ground feed to the TCM or the TCM itself. The first thing you'll need to do is check fuses if you haven't already. From there you would need to check the powers and grounds right at the TCM with a voltmeter or test light. If the TCM has everything it needs to operate but won't then it will need to be replaced.

Where is the TCM & TCM plug. Do I remove the plug to check the power, ground & voltage? Also what voltage readings should I be getting? Are there any other fuses on the vehicle other than the ones under the hood on the left side of the car?

The only fuses are in the box under the hood and the one in the end of the dash.

The TCM is the rectangular module in the left front corner or the engine compartment, it has a 60 way electrical connector that is bolted on with an 8mm bolt.

Yes, you would have to unplug the connector to check for power and ground. Pins 11 and 56 should have battery voltage with the key on, pins 53 and 57 should be grounded.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Which way can I expect the pin number to be & what fuse should i expect to be the problem

Fuse 9 in the power distribution center and fuse 11 inside are the ones for the TCM.

The pin numbers will be labeled on the inside of the connector when it's unplugged.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician