Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Chrysler Sebring How do I flush the radiator on my Chrysler

Customer Question
How do I flush the...
How do I flush the radiator on my Chrysler Sebring. What kind of equipment do I need. Do I need any or tools found only in a mechanic shop?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chrysler
5/13/2011
Chrysler Mechanic: Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician

Matt Hardy :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, my name is Matt.

Matt Hardy :

There are several ways you can do this. What are you trying to accomplish? In otehr words, why do you want to flush the radiator?

Matt Hardy :

(Is it because of a problem with the cooling system, or is it for maintenance?)

Customer:

I was informed that the radiator coolant was dirty and needed to be flushed out and replaced with fresh coolant.

Matt Hardy :

OK, that's pretty easy to do. Your Sebring was factory filled with Mopar orange coolant, which has a service life of 5 years. So, on a 2004, it is probably a good idea.

Customer:

Do I need any special tools to do this?

Matt Hardy :

First you need 1 gallon (at least) of coolant. Mopar coolant from the dealer is preferable. Auto parts stores have a universal coolant which is acceptable.

Matt Hardy :

You don't need any special tools....do you think you are able to remove the lower radiator hose? Do you have ramps or jacks to lift the front of the car?

Customer:

What else do I need to do?

Matt Hardy :

First, take the coolant fill cap off the engine. Then pull the lower radiator hose off and drain the old coolant into a drain pan. (This can be messy!) Then put the hose back on, and fill the coolant.

Customer:

Yes I can probably remove the lower radiator hose, but I don't have a jack or car ramps to lift up the front end.

Matt Hardy :

If you can remove the hose without ramps, that's OK.

Matt Hardy :

Drain the old coolant out, then refill it where the coolant fill cap is on the engine.

Matt Hardy :

Are you able to locate the coolant fill cap?

Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician

Follow the instructions on the coolant that you buy. I prefer pre-mixed. Some coolant must be diluted with water.

Be careful when you do the coolant flush.

If you make a mistake, the engine could overheat.

Overheating a 2.4L will cost you a new cylinder head.

If you are not sure about any of this, let a shop do the flush.

Reply back if need more detail.

Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician