Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

What Do The Codes P0700 And P0730 Mean On A Chrysler 300?

Customer Question
What does p0700 transmission control...
What does p0700 transmission control mean on a 2005 Chrysler 300 C?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chrysler
2/8/2011
Chrysler Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 6 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
(DTC) CODE P0700 - Transmission Control System (MIL Request) Translation: Transmission Control Module (TCM) Malfunction or Failure. P0700 Information Code The Transaxle Control Module (TCM) monitors the malfunction of sensors and actuators relating to transaxle control. If any malfunction is detected, the TCM informs the PCM by sending a signal (P0700 code). P0700 means that a code has been set in the TCM. This code is for information ONLY. If this code is present, check for transaxle codes. So basically, the P0700 code is telling you to check the TCM for a transaxle DTC. The TCM can cannot turn on the check engine light so it has the PCM do it, which can only be done with a diagnostic scanner. The self retrieval method for Chryslers with the ignition key will not pull up the specific transmission fault codes in the TCM.
What is a common failure for the p0700 code? Is it an internal or external part?
P0700 is an information only code. It is solely there to tell the technician that there are specific fault codes in the Transmission Control Module. It does not stand for any one part or problem. It is and information code for the technician. The only way to retrieve the transmission specific fault codes is with a diagnostic scanner. There is no other way.
There are over 100 transmission fault codes. There are too many possibilities, including dozens of common failures, to try to guess which one. You will end up spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars needlessly replacing good part after good part until you finally get it resolved. Or you could spend about $70-90 to have the Transmission Control module scanned for the specific code and actually know where and what has failed and fix it correctly the first time.
Okay, I will retrieve TCM code on Monday. Thank you for your help and patience!
No problem. Once you have the code, post here and I can walk you through it from there.
I got the unit scanned and found code p0730 in the stored codes. It states incorrect gear ratio.
Okay, causes can range from input and output speed sensors being faulty, faulty TCM, faulty wiring harness, low/burnt fluid, internal transmission damage, or faulty solenoid.
Honestly, you are better off expense wise to have it diagnosed by a professional at this point; otherwise unless you have a $10,000 diagnostic scanner and tester, you are left throwing parts at it based on all the possibilities, which will get real expensive, real fast.
Below is diagnostic flow chart, which requires the use of a diagnostic scanner to complete.
P0730-INCORRECT GEAR RATIO
For a complete wiring diagram - Refer to Section 8W
Theory of Operation
The Transmission Control Module (TCM) constantly calculates the transmission ratio based on the input speed sensor 1 and 2 (N2-N3) signals and the calculated output shaft speed. The intent of this diagnostic is to detect if the transmission is trying to mechanically shift into a different gear than the TCM intends.
NOTE: The transmission control module is programmed to immediately place the transmission into neutral if P0730 or P1731 codes are set. These codes indicate that the transmission experienced an unknown or incorrect gear ratio. Placing the transmission in neutral prevents potential catastrophic failure. When this occurs, the transmission will remain in neutral until the vehicle slows to 29 Km/h (18 mph).
When Monitored: Engine rpm greater than 450 rpm, no N2 - N3 input speed sensor errors present, no gear selector lever errors present, no ABS system errors, and vehicle speed above 10 Km/h (6 mph).
Set Condition:
No shifting operation and actual gear differs from the target gear. No shifting operation - actual (calculated) gear differs from the target (expected) gear, no plausible gear is calculated, actual (calculated) turbine speed is greater than 300 rpm or calculated transmission ratio is above threshold. During an Upshift - actual (calculated) gear is less than target (expected) gear. During Downshift - actual (calculated) gear is greater than target (expected) gear.
Possible Causes
LOW FLUID LEVEL
ABS DTCS PRESENT
TRANSMISSION SOLENOID,
SPEED SENSOR AND/OR OTHER ELECTRICAL RELATED DTCS PRESENT
INTERMITTENT STICKING VALVE IN THE VALVE BODY
INTERNAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEM
TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE
Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.
Diagnostic Test
1. CHECK IF ABS DTCS ARE PRESENT
________________________________________
With the scan tool, check for ABS DTCs.
Are there any ABS DTCs present?
Yes
• Refer to 5 - BRAKES - ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSTICS category and perform the appropriate symptom(s).
No
• Go to 2
2. CHECK IF TRANSMISSION SOLENOID DTCS ARE PRESENT
With the scan tool, check for other transmission DTCs.
Are there any transmission solenoid, speed sensor and/or any other transmission electrical related DTCs present?
Yes
• Refer to symptom list the symptom list and perform the appropriate symptom(s).
No
• Go to 3
3. CHECK TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL
NOTE: Low fluid level can be the cause of many transmission problems. Visually inspect the transmission and cooler lines for leakage and repair as necessary and adjust the fluid level per the Service Information. If no visual leaks are observed and the vehicle has obtained over 1610 km (1000 miles) from either new or transmission service, a fluid level check is unnecessary.
Check the transmission fluid level and condition per the Service Information.
Is the fluid level and condition correct?
Yes
• Go to 4
No
• Correct the fluid level per the Service Information
• Perform NAG1 TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST
4. CHECK ENVIRONMENTAL DATA
With the scan tool, check environmental data for P1731.
Did the environmental data show the code setting during a 3-4 up shift or 4-3 downshift?
Yes
• NOTE: Debris may enter through the vents in the top of the valve body. The debris can be a very small sliver that is visibly unnoticeable unless flushing onto a fine filter paper. The debris has the potential to stick the 3-4 Shift Pressure or 3-4 Holding valves. If either valve is stuck during a 3-4 up shift or 4-3 downshift, a shift flare, bump shift, harsh shift, or in neutral out will occur.
• Flush and clean the Valve Body per the Service Information. Pay particular attention to the 3-4 shift pressure and 3-4 holding valve. Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - NAG1/ELECTROHYDRAULIC UNIT - CLEANING.
No
• Go to 5
5. CHECK FOR INTERNAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEM
Check for an internal Transmission mechanical problem(s).
Remove the Transmission Oil Pan and inspect for excessive debris or a plugged Transmission Oil Filter. Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/AUTOMATIC - NAG1/FILTER - STANDARD PROCEDURE.
Inspect the valve body for foreign material, starting with the four valves associated with the shift described in the environmental data (shift pressure, holding, overlap, command), and continue on to the other valves.
This DTC is usually set due to an internal transmission problem such as but not limited to: ***** ***** valve and/or contamination in the valve body, broken springs, leaking clutch seals, dislodged or broken snap ring etc.
Inspect the internal transmission, Refer to 21- AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION NAG1/SERVICE INFORMATION for the appropriate service procedure(s) and other possible causes.
Were there any problems found?
Yes
• Repair as necessary per the Service Information.
No
• If no internal transmission mechanical problems are found, using the schematics as a guide, check the Transmission Control Module (TCM) pins, terminals, and connectors for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems are found, replace and program the TCM per the Service Information. Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE for the appropriate service procedure
There are no ABS codes present. Thank you for the help!
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager