Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.
10772012

2006 Chrysler 300 Touring: I turn the steering wheel..steering column

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring and I'm noticing an occasional squeak when I turn the steering wheel. Sounds like it's coming from the steering column. Any ideas?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ivan replied 6 years ago.

Ivan :

Hello and good evening. Does the squeak sound like it's high up near the steering wheel area?

Ivan :

Your JA Expert,

Ivan :

Ivan

Customer:

yes it does

Ivan :

The problem is going to be in a part called a clock spring. This is the item that lets power transfer from the steering column into the steering wheel for the air bag and any radio control buttons on the wheel. It is a plastic assembly, that has rings of copper contracts and little brass brushes that transfer voltage through it into the wheel. These items can create a drag or squeak if the lubricant inside dries up. You can try to spray some spray silicone into that area, but it doesn't always work. Replacing the clock spring should erradicate the sound.

Customer:

I have no radio controls on the steering wheel. Is this an expensive repair?

Ivan :

Then it just powers the horn buttons and the air bag. The clockspring is about $84 and the labor should be less than an hour. Labor time is about .5 of an hour, but with disabling the air bag to perform the repair, the shop may charge a minimum of an hour.

Customer:

Ok, thanks Ivan.