Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Chrysler I have a 1999 Chrysler Concorde and the heater heat

Customer Question
I have a 1999 Chrysler...
I have a 1999 Chrysler Concorde and the heater heat intermittently works, otherwise blowing only cold air. I’m not sure what the problem is, though since it’s intermittent, I’m thinking there’s a problem with the blend door actuator.

On top of that, I’ve been looking around and have seen the picture of the heater unit and where the blend door actuator is on the front of the unit. I’ve pulled out everything in the center stack (heater controls, radio, ash tray, etc.) and the under dash panel silencer ducts on both sides but still don't see anything that looks like the blend door actuator in the picture.

One, am I on the right track with the blend door actuator, and two, why can’t I see it when I crawl under the dash or look in through the center stack?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Chrysler
1/22/2011
Chrysler Mechanic: Chad, Lead Master Tech replied 6 years ago
Chad
Chad, Lead Master Tech
Blend door actuator location

graphic
That's the picture I looked at. When I crawl under the dash from either side, or look through the center stack, I'm not seeing the part.

Also, am I even on the right track since my problem is intermittent heat?

Thanks.
It does sound like you are on the right track.You should be able to see it from the passenger side, with the lower shield is removed. Is the A/C control head manual or automatic?
When you say lower shield, do you mean the under panel duct? If so, I pulled that off. When I look under the dash toward the center, the biggest thing I see is the outlet that feeds the duct I pulled off. I don't see anything on the front of the unit that looks like the unit in the picture.

The A/C control is MANUAL.
I apologize that it is seen from the drivers side.You cant see the whole actuator.You can see the wire connector and feel the bottom.
I'm still clueless.

When I look under the dash toward the center from the driver's side, the biggest thing I see is still the outlet that feeds the duct I pulled off on the driver's side.

I can see the arm that deflects the heat for the defroster, but am not seeing the connector or sure where the bottom of the actuator is supposed to be.
It will be close to the floor hump in the center
I'm such a dope.

From the picture, I thought it was on the FRONT of the unit. When I look on the BOTTOM, near the hump in the center, I see a whitish colored gizmo that has a connector with 5 wires in it. Is this it?
I'm pretty sure it is.
OK. In my original post, I said that my problem is intermittent heat, and I'm thinking since this controls the temperature (right?), that this is the problem.

However, I saw a couple of things today that were talking about heater core, thermostat, and other issues related to the engine.

Am I even on the right track here, or how do I troubleshoot this before I plunk down $ and replace the actuator, only to find out this wasn't the problem?
Well, you can unbolt it from the case and operate the temp setting on the control head and make sure it moves in both directions. Also while it is removed from the case, turn the shaft for the door manually in both directions to make sure the door is not broken. Is the tempature of the car running higher than normal? That would be signs of the thermostat, or other engine problems. I would say it is either the actuator, the door, or the control head itself.
Chad
Chad
Chad, Lead Master Tech