Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

2009 Grand Caravan: key fob..it wont start at all..parking lot

Customer Question
I have a 2009 Grand...
I have a 2009 Grand Caravan that the key fob stopped working on. At first it would not start sometimes, now it won't start at all. It is in the Kroger parking lot. The door locks work fine and the fob will lock or unlock the van, but will not start it. I have purchased a replacement key fob because the van only came with on, but it is not programmed. Do you think the problem is in the key fob or the van ignition system? How do I program my new key fob?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chrysler
8/8/2010
Chrysler Mechanic: Roland, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Roland
Roland, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Roland :

Hello, my name is Roland

Just want to make sure that you have the FOBIK style key which is an all plastic key?
when you say it does not start do you mean start then stall?
then after 3 times the starter will not engage?
what mileage do you have on the vehicle?
Can I get the last nine of the vin to get the vehicle options?

Customer:

FOBIK style all plastic key. Starter does not engage, acts like wrong key/ fobik not recognized. 48K miles. VIN 2D8HN44E49R531465 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SE

Roland :

Did the engine start and then stall in 2 seconds before it stop cranking over?

Customer:

no

Roland :

So you when out then just would not crank. Do you have the radio, wipers, headlamps?

Customer:

yes, when this first started you could keep trying and finally the starter would engage and the van would start and run good. Battery is fine

Customer:

I have a fobic I bought so we would have two keys, but I have'nt had a chance to get it programmed yet. When I first got it I tried to start the van whith it, and it acted just like the original key is acting. Radio, fan. wipers etc., but no starter engagement.

Roland :

Does the instrument cluster display wrong key?

Customer:

no

Roland :

The most common issue with these in the WCM (wireless control module), this is what you put the key into to start the vehicle. What mileage do you have on the vehicle?

Customer:

48K

Customer:

The transmission got hung in 3rd once too. Is it time to dump it?

Roland :

You do not have warranty on your vehicle. I would replace the WCM program the keys. To program the keys you will need to have the correct scanner to program.

Customer:

How much is the WCM?

Customer:

no

Roland :

The WCM cost about 190.00 and the part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Customer:

aftermarket?

Customer:

How hard to put in?

Roland :

This is a Chrysler part. If you could get this aftermarket, I have see known issue with them.

Roland :

WCM removal. The only thing that would cause a problem would be the need to program the keys. You will need to have this done at a dealership.

Customer:

Can I have the dealer pre-program the keys to the module when I buy it so it will start after I install the new WCM?

Roland :

No the module needs to be installed in order to program keys

Customer:

Sorry, Roland but you were wrong this time. The key was messed up. They programmed my new key and everything is fine now. Thank-you for trying to help.

Roland :

I am glad that you have the vehicle fixed. Thank you for letting me help you

Roland
Roland
Roland, ASE Certified Technician