Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

How to disarm 2000 Dodge Durango security system

Customer Question
How to disarm 2000...
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chrysler
7/30/2010
Chrysler Mechanic: Scott, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I Do not like the chat option - it can be very restrictive to me and the way I answer questions. I hope you dont mind this.

Do you have an aftermarket alarm system?

Does the cluster show a indicator for the security system ?

What symptoms do you have ?

Hi- Do you have a thick grey key , or the thinner black key? Do you have a key fob remote?

You should only have the regular key - But some one may have changed the system to skim - not likely.

To disarm the system:

DISARMING

Passive disarming of the Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) occurs when the vehicle is unlocked using the key to unlock either front door or the liftgate. Active disarming of the VTSS occurs when the vehicle is unlocked by depressing the Unlock button of the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter.

The Chrysler system is designed to only be turned off these ways. There is no way to disable the Chrysler alarm system once its been tripped- Crooks would be able disable it then. We are not able to disarm the system even with a Chrysler scan tool once its been tripped. I hope this helps, please reply if you need more info or help, Thanks Scott.

My alarm system is malfuntioning..causing the car to shut off...I wish to permanently to remove or disarm system so my car will run without cutting off.
Hello- The Chrysler alarm system will not shut the engine off while driving . It can cause a start and stall . Does the engine start and allow you drive away - then stall a few minutes later?
Car will start and drive normally . While driving car engine suddenly stops. Car will sometimes restart immediatly... sometimes I have to call a towing service...After a period of time car will restart...Car is shutting down a more frequent intervals... Car computers have been checked ...they have no codes or indications of any problems.

Ok- This is not related to any alarm system. This problem can be caused by a shorted sensor or an internal computer failure . Some sensors that can cause this concern are the crank or can sensor. I work in the desert and the problem we see most often is a bad engine computer, When it fails it will not set any faults- but it will erase all stored memory- This memory consists of the ignition counts since memory was erased- and the adaptive fuel trim memory.

We test for a bad computer by looking for memory loss. Or by tapping on the computer or moving the connectors while its running. If the engine stumbles or stalls when tapping on it or moving the connectors - that's a sure sign of a bad computer.

The cam and crank sensors will often leave a fault code that is stored , and can be read when scanned,.Also it is best to tap on the PCM- engine computer . or wiggle the wiring just after the engine is restarted after it dies while driving. I hope this helps point you toward the repair. Please reply if you need more info- Thanks ,Scott,

Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Scott
Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician