Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1996 chrysler cirrus: 2.5 L V6..driver side..passenger side..car wont…

I am trying to change...
I am trying to change the tie rods on my 1996 Chryler Cirrus 2.5 L V6 and the outer tie rods seemed to be frozen to the inner tie rods by rust and corrosion. I got the driver side one off but the adjustment nut on the passenger side of the car wont budge from the outer tie rod so the outer rod will not turn out. Tried liquid wrench and also applied heat to the nut and the area where the inner rod goes into the outer rod but still almost no turning out of the outer tie rod. Then I thought I'd replace both the inner and outer rods on the passenger side only to find that the replacement inner rod had flats on it to tighten the end that screws in and the original rod gave me no way to get it off of the rack and pinion. So how do I get the frozen outer rod off of the inner rod and, if I have to, how do you get the inner rod off of the rack and pinion to install an entire inner and outer assembly?
7/15/2010
Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician

HelloCustomer Welcome to justanswer!

In your case you have to change the rack and pinion along with the tire rods. Its just too unsafe to get as involved with rusty parts like you describe.

Relist: Answer quality.
The answer is too generalized and does not focus on the question. This repair is done all the time by many shops quite sucessfully.
Alex
Alex, ASE Certified Technician
The way I would do this in the shop is with lots of heat and a pipe wrench. You may have to use a torch and get the nut glowing. Leave the outer tie rod end stud in the knuckle when you try to break the lock nut loose. If your 22mm wrench is slipping over the lock nut, you will need a large pipe wrench to break the nut loose.

The last resort would be to replace both inner and outer tie rod ends. There is a special tool with crowsfeet needed to install the new inner tie rod end. To get the old inner off, you'd need to steer the wheels all the way to one side to get the inner to come out as far as possible. Then you would use a pipe wrench or large gripping pliers to break rounded inner tie rod loose from the rack.

If you manage to get the outer tie rod end off, do the alignment tech a favor and put some anti-seize on the threads of the inner tie rod before installing the new outer. This will allow the tech to set toe as close to zero as possible and get the steering wheel as straight as possible.

Edited by Alex M on 7/15/2010 at 4:11 AM EST
Alex
Alex, ASE Certified Technician