Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

96 chrysler LHS: obd2 & 1 to bring up codes..turn ignition..15 seconds…

Customer Question
96 chrysler LHS 3.5...
96 chrysler LHS 3.5 Problem - can not get Can obd2 & 1 to bring up codes. It says to turn ignition on. Ignition is on.
PROBLEM is I start the car in 15 seconds it shuts off. I start car put it in gear it shuts off immediately
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chrysler
7/2/2010
Chrysler Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 8 years ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
hi, did you at any time replace the pcm or body computer on this car? does the engine light go on with key on and engine not running? is the security light on?.
yes the pmc computer was changed and the engine light is on. also able to turn key off and on for check light but only get code 11 - 12 - 55
ok, was this a use computer and did you had this problem before the computer was replace?
yes the same problem happened. The computer was changed with the same numbers and before it was removed the other car ran fine.
ok do you see a security light on at the instrument cluster?
I just checked and did not see a security light
ok then wen you replace computers from one car to another the minute you start the vehicle the computer does a rolling code test with the other computers on the network and if the code does not match then the pcm will shut fuel and spark off, and because you say the engine shuts off exactly with in a couple off seconds that leads to believe that this is a security problem and that is why the scanner wont communicate with the pcm because its not been recognise on the network, wear you able to communicate using the old computer?

sorry I did not tell you I am trying to fix this from the owner. I am going to put the old computer back in and see what was wrong with it. I have to go to his home and get it.

I think he said he was having the same problem. This car was gotten fro someone that was having problem before this person. They would not say what they did or the causes.

How do I get back to you after replacing the computer??

i will be on line don't worry just come in and ask for me.

thanks for the message I will be out doing more checking and will reply later.
ok.

96 chrsyler lhs

I put the old computer back in and it gave me code for ignition key -12-65-53-55-35-31

it still would not reconize the OB 11

hi, sorry for the delay are you there?

good morning

np problem with the delay I also put mine on hold because the owner went to see there parents this 4 th of July and are not planning there return till Thursday the 8th of July.

ok, do you still have the car with you?
ok the codes you have present are hard codes and one includes pcm internal failure ,i see to many codes ,can you do a battery reset again and lest see what codes go on this time.

I will go to there house later and disconnect the battery and check the codes again.

I have a hunch that the engine my have been replaces with a used engine and it my not match the old engine.

How can I find out what the code numbers are the right numbers for this car??

well there is the 3.5 liter and the 3.5 HO check wish one you have and let me know .

hi transman

I disconnected the battery and all I got from the computer was code 55.

The engine should be a 3.5 liter from the hood decal. With the engine replaced I would not know if that is correct. The owner will be home Thursday and we are going to go to the shop that changed the engine and get more information.

ok, code 55 is a normal code it states END OF CODES MESAGE, its a normal operating code but you should had code 12 also wish means BEGINNING OF CODES, you need to find out what engine you have if HO 3.5 or not, if the right engine is on then you need to find out if the right pcm is on by getting the pcm number call the dealer and ask parts department what is the pcm # XXXXX your car and match it up with what you have, if you cant do that then let me know i will look it up but i will need the vin# XXXXX your car and the pcm # XXXXX have right now.