Chrysler expert
Chrysler expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience, ase certified, shop owner
22989858

1997 chrysler sebring: jx convertible 6 cyl running hot..AC..radiator

Customer Question

1997 chrysler serbring jxi convertible 6 cyl running hot. Temp gauge reads normal. When I turn the AC on the electric radiator cooling fan comes on. Replaced thermostat and radiator cap. Heater blows extremely hot air, almost too hot to hold hand over. 1st occurence was a burst top radiator hose.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chrysler expert replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

Very likely this is a sign of a faulty head gasket , to go to the local auto parts store and pick up a chemical head gasket test kit this will detect any hydrocarbons that are located in the cooling system .if there are any hydrocabons present you will need to replace the head gaskets

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i accepted you response but I cannot find anything on the autozone site about a chemical head gasket test kit
TRY A NAPA OR CARQUEST STORE OR CALL THEM IN CASE ITS JUST NOT ON THE WEB SITE
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I continue to get emails from just ask about my satisfiaction so I wanted to let you know that

I took your advice and purchased the kit that checked or a blown or defective head gasket. It did not reflect a problem.

I did some additional internet research and determined that my sebring needed to have air purged from the cooling system after it had been refilled with antifreeze. There is a bleeder valve on the water box where the thermostat lives. That was actually my real problem. I opened the valve with the motor running and purged all the air out of the system and that cleared the problem.