Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

ve checked..interior fuse..fuse boxes..work without the tapping…

Customer Question
None of the interior gages...
None of the interior gages will turn on, even after the engine is running. I've checked all the fuses in the main and interior fuse boxes. The last couple weeks I've noticed that the gages were not working after starting, tapped on the right side of dash and they came on.
They worked properly for a few days and then they would not work without the tapping on the dash. My question is how do you disasemble the Dash, to see if all cables are making good connections. Need step by step instructions on how to get to cables behind dash
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chrysler
6/29/2010
Chrysler Mechanic: Amedee, Chrysler Technician replied 8 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician

Hello!

I can give you step by step instructions on how to pull apart the panel or trim to remove everything so that you can have a look at things. However, from what you are telling me, it sounds like you simply have a bad instrument cluster. THe printed circuit board on these vehicles go bad all the time causing this problem. THere are solder joints that loosen up causing this problem I would just recommend to replace the instrument cluster while you are in there. Here is a picture of what happens.

graphic

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I get in to take a look.

You will have to pull out the instrument cluster and have a look at it. You might need ot take it apart.

Let me get you some info on how to remove it from the vehicle.. just one minute.

Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician

THanks for the accept!

THis is all the info I have on removing the cluster. IT is not hard. Just a few screws and the outer trim will pop off. FRom there you will see two or four small screws that you just unscrew and it will pull out... don't forget about the connector in the back.

1. Remove instrument cluster bezel, then remove instrument cluster mounting screws.
  2. Rotate top of cluster outward, then disconnect electrical connect from back of cluster.
  3. Remove instrument cluster.
  4. Reverse procedure to install.

screws for outer trim of instrument cluster, where are they located? I'm attempting to complete this myself, I don't have a lot of experience

THey are located on the top of the bezel. Look from underneath and you should see two screws. If not, it might just use clips. You will have to gently pry out on the trim piece to pop out the plastic trim or bezel.
do you have any photographic info you can provide, I dont see any screws except on the drivers side. removed the air vent cover on left side, there is a screw at the top, the right side of the top piece pops out. Is this the correct piece to be removed to get to instrunment cluster. Would really apprieciate some Photo info of the dash and exacly where the piece I need to remove is and the screws

Let me do some more digging.

Thanks Amedee, I'm waiting, I really want to complete this myself.

No problem... I will see what I can do.

Give me a few more minutes... I am searching through every data base I can get my hands on.

Thanks;

Ok... this is what I have found.

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER BEZEL
REMOVAL
1. Remove steering column cover.
2. Remove over steering column bezel Instrument Cluster Bezel
3. Remove left end cover.
4. Remove screw at left end of cluster bezel and headlamp switch.
5. Remove screws holding cluster bezel to instrument panel from each side of steering column.
6. Disconnect clip holding cluster bezel to instrument panel from above right vent louver.
7. Separate cluster bezel from instrument panel.
8. Disconnect wire connectors from back of the bezel.
INSTALLATION
1. Connect wire connectors into back of the bezel.
2. Place cluster bezel in position on instrument panel. Use care not to place hands on louvers.
3. Connect clips to hold cluster bezel to instrument panel. Use care not to add pressure on the A/C
louvers to seat the cluster bezel clips.
4. Install screws to hold cluster bezel to instrument panel on each side of steering column.
5. Install screw at left end of cluster bezel and headlamp switch.
6. Install left end cover.
7. Install over steering column bezel.
8. Install lower steering column cover.

graphic

If you look from the bottom up or feel the top part of the bezel that sits around the instrument cluster there might be two screws on top. You will have to look hard because they are kind of hidden. HOwever if there are no screws, this bezel will just pop right out using a small screwdriver.