Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Tell if the onboard computer is bad, on a 1999 sebring convertable…

How can you tell if...
How can you tell if the onboard computer is bad, on a 1999 sebring convertable
6/29/2010
George H.
George H., ASE Master Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

There are several cues to a bad computer and you have ot check all the input data to see if the computer is getting the correct information. If the computer is receiving the correct input, has power and ground to the correct points but outputs incorrect action then the computer must be replaced.

If you get no communication with the computer yet all the data lines are intact and the computer has power and ground to the correct points then the computer has failed.

As I say there are several ways that the computer can fail, one of the best is if the computer does a self thest, discovers an internal fault then sets a code for that fault that can be read with a scantool.

Let me know what you have going on that led to this question and I will do my best to answer it for you

Thank you

thank you george, my name is joe. what led me to this question is. I had tune up done on the car and a fuel injection cleaning, also they changed the alternator. the car just ran bad before nothing serious so i had this work done. when they were finished and i started it to drive away it died. so i told them and he had me start it. after a few seconds it died again. which it never died before. he said to drive it for a day and it will probably run better. which it didnt. so i brought it back. they checked it out and said the air conditioner button was turned on and when they turned it off it ran fine. and it was giving wrong signals to the computer. I told them the fuse to the air conditioner was not in and the electrical plug to the compressor was not connected, its been that way for at least 2 months before i took the car in. the compressor was replaced but theairconditioning system needs more work before i can run it. when you press the button to turn it on the air the green light goes on but nothing happens. anyway i know the light wasnt on. they said if it still does it the computer needs to be changed. 900.00 dollars, i already spent over fifteen hundred for the tune up,injecter cleaning, and alternator change out. anyway it still dies and now it blows smoke out of the exhaust sometimes.( what do you think George) hope u r still there to reply. thank you.
george please come back, i need your help on the sebring computer. i will keep checking back, Thank you George. (i think im getting close to my answer)

I'm back, sorry but I got busy under a car,

From your description it does not sound like the computer is bad more likely the idle control motor is failing but this is going to require some diagnosis with a scantool to see what is going on. I would go to another shop (one equipped to diagnose Chrysler vehicles) and pay for one hours labor. They should be able to give you a definate answer in that time and then you are not spending money for nothing.

If you need the name of a shop please post your zipcode and I will see who I can find for you.

Let me know what I can do to help you with your questions and I will be here all afternoon now.

Thanks

Thank you so much George, that will set me in the right direction. And i really would like to know a shop that would diagnose chyrsler vehicles. But please don't refer me to,
(Power Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge. 16406 N 26th Avenue Phoenix, AZ ) They are the dealer that did the work.
I really like the sebring model and I want to try to keep it for a long time. So I will probably be asking you a lot more questions about it in the future. Thanks again your info was very usefull.

So... Phoenix is a big place is there a particular zip that you would like the shop to be in?

I am more than happy to work with you on any questions you may have so please post the zipcode you want the shop and I will see what I can find for you.

Thanks

sorry George, thought i put it down. my zip is 85023 thanks

You can contact

H&M Motorworks
14640 N Cave Creek Rd
Phoenix, Arizona 85022

Telephone: 602/992-1340

And please let them know that an iATN member gave you their name.

Here is a link to their home page

George H.
George H., ASE Master Technician
wonderfull george thank you. be talking to you soon for other info.

Glad to help and thank you for using JA!

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you