Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

97 Dodge Neon: gas gauge and the air conditioner..miss..leaking..Cars…

My '97 Dodge Neon has...
My '97 Dodge Neon has put the lie to all the negative Consumer Reports ratings. Okay, the gas gauge and the air conditioner and a couple of other minor things are broken, but it's been getting me where I want to go with few problems, and I'm going to miss it.

My garage warned me last fall that it would make it through the winter but that would be it - and sure enough, they tell me now that replacing the leaking steering rack wouldn't be worth the cost, given New England's gift of under-body rust.

Am I crazy to imagine buying a used Neon to replace this? I do very little driving these days - maybe 5 miles/week - but I'm not in a position to join Zip Cars . Is there a better choice? I need a small 4-door sedan or hatchback; I tried a Honda Fit and found it uncomfortable... what else is out there that's inexpensive, modest, small, but big enough to carry my electric scooter in the trunk and my rollator in the back seat or trunk?
6/28/2010
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
replace the rack and keep running that neon, i love them they are cheap to maintain and they run and run
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Thanks -- but I do believe my garage. They kept this car going for a long time, and if they say it's time to get a new one, I have to believe them.

But thanks for the pro-Neon vote! I'll look for another Neon.
the nwere body style neons ar pretty reliable . most of the early bugs got worked out, go for a o2 or newer you will be happy