Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1996 Chrysler Town & Country: removing..the hose assembly…

Type your car question here.What...
Type your car question here.What is involved with removing the hose assembly at the expantion valve on a 1996 Chrysler Town & Country. The highside hose from the expansion valve to the rear evaporator leaks
6/28/2010
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

I have the instructions in a PDF format that you can download HERE

I am not good at computers,I dont know what a PDF format is can I see the answer before I accept. I do not know how it works

Sorry...a PDF is just a "portable document format" and if you click on the blue link that says HERE it will give you a page that you can download the instructions. That is because there are quite a few pictures and I included the hose as well.

HERE

Let me know if you have any trouble and I can try to copy the stuff and paste it here, thanks
Jerry, Master Mechanic

I am not good at computers,I dont know what a PDF format is can I see the answer before I accept. I do not know how it works. Its going to another window I dont understand

That's ok, let me try to put it on here, thanks

WARNING: The refrigeration system must be completely empty before proceeding with this operation.

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  2. Recover A/C system refrigerant.
  3. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  4. Remove upper generator bracket.
  5. Disconnect generator field wire connector.
  6. Push generator forward.
  7. Remove ground wire at dash panel.

A/C Refrigerant Plate

1. Remove the nut retaining the refrigerant line sealing plate to the expansion valve.

Expansion Valve

1. Remove the stud from the expansion valve.
  2. Carefully pull the refrigerant line sealing plate assembly from expansion valve towards the front of the vehicle. Use care not to scratch the expansion valve sealing surfaces with pilot tubes.
  3. Cover the openings to prevent contamination.
  4. Remove two screws securing the expansion valve to the evaporator sealing plate.

Expansion Valve Removal

1. Carefully remove expansion valve.
  2. Remove the old 0-rings.

INSTALLATION

1. Ensure old 0-rings are removed. Install new 0-rings on the refrigerant lines and evaporator sealing plate.
  2. Hand-start the stud into the expansion valve and torque to 7 - 11 N.m (64 - 96 in. lbs.) .
  3. Carefully install the expansion valve to the sealing plate. Install the two screws and tighten 8 to 14 N.m (70 to 130 in. lbs.) torque.
  4. Carefully install the refrigerant lines and sealing plate to the expansion valve. Install the nut and tighten 20 to 26 N.m (170 to 230 in. lbs.) torque.
  5. Install the ground wire at dash panel.
  6. Pull generator back into the proper position for bracket mounting.
  7. Install generator field wire connector.
  8. Install the upper generator bracket.
  9. Install accessory drive belt.
  10. Evacuate and recharge system.
  11. After expansion valve is installed, the system is charged, and leaks have checked repeat the A/C performance check.

Rear Heater And A/C Lines

Front Lines Connected To Rear Lines

Rear Heater Hose Connection

Rear Heater Hose Quick Connects

Rear A/C Block Connection

The rear heater and A/C lines are all serviced as individual pieces. When disconnecting any line or block ensure that the area around it is clean of any contaminations that can get in to the system.
I know how to do the expansion valve. Its hose assembly I have to remove
Yes that is the second set of instructions that I pasted. You just have to take the hose/line assembly out and put a new one in.

I havent seen the second set of instructions
Sorry, let me try to get them on here.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Jerry, Master Mechanic
I am so sorry. I thought I would double check. Good thing I did because turns out the condensate drain is right over the two lines that go back to the rear evaporater. It was all the oil that threw me off. The front evap. is leaking, man there was a lot of oil never saw that before. Thanks for your help.
Oh....yeah the evaporators are pretty common on them. Glad you found that out, good job and let me know if you need anything on that, thanks