Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car horn goes off at teh most inopportune times...it, it stays on…

Customer Question
My car horn goes off...
My car horn goes off at teh most inopportune times. When I just want to toot it, it stays on. I hav to keep hittingit to turn it off.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/28/2010
Chrysler Mechanic: Scott, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. This is a common problem we have encountered . The problem is the switches under the steering wheel air bag cover have failed.The repair is to remove the airbag and replace the switches. This repair requires the proper removal of the air bag- And of course should not be attempted unless proper steps are taken.

The switches are kind of tricky to get out and the air bag is held in using metal loops instead of screws/bolts .

If you need more info - please reply, Thanks Scott.

I believe you answered the question. And I will pay you. Just two more things. How much do you think this repair will cost at a dealership? And do I have to get a Chrystler dealership? There are none in my hometown. I would have to drive 100 miles or so.

Thanks . The labor would be about an hour. the cost of the switch- I would guess at 70.00 ? maybe less. You could call the dealer and ask on Monday. A competent mechanic that has access to on-line manuals can do the job. The tricky part is air bag removal- a short screw driver with a wide blade is used to pry the loops off of the tabs using a twisting motion. There are access holes behind the airbag.

I believe the switches are still a dealer item and would likely have to be ordered . Your mechanic could remove the horn relay and defeat the system until the parts arrive.

If needed I can share the information required to replace the switches. Thanks Scott.

Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician

I just remembered a good tip- the steering wheel has to be removed also- there are screws under the wheel that hold the switches in- if you don't do this- you will break the

cover and switches . -- Scott.

Thanks you-If you need more info- please reply to this post at that time, that way the question stays open . Or just ask!! regards, Scott.