Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Engine has a rough idle on 2005 sebring 2.4

6/27/2010
a dodgetech
a dodgetech, Technician
You may have a slight misfire. Spark plugs should be replaced every 30k miles. You may also have a broken or collapsed engine mount and just feeling more vibration than you are use to feeling.
a dodgetech
a dodgetech, Technician
Its not the engine mount I know this for sure. Already replaced plugs and wires.
Without a dtc it is hard to diagnose. have you checked compression or fuel pressures?
I found it strange that there was no dtc, unable to check compression or fuel pressure atm. I am hoping its not the timing belt as thats an expensive fix. If it was the compression or fuel pressure, wouldn't I get an error code in the readout?
yes you should
Could it be a fuel filter issue or fuel injector issue. Also, I have a small hole in the resinator on the muffler, could this be causing it?
I think if it were a fuel issue of any kind there should be a fault code. the filter is built into the pump and not serviced any other way. if your injectors are dirty it could cause a rough idle and still not cause a fault to set
how about the minor hole in the resinator on the muffler?
should not cause a miss or rough idle just noise
sooo confused....could it be an electrcal issue or maybe the timing belt?
I would not think so because of the fact that there are no fault codes. could be fuel.
fuel quality
So filter or injectors right?
or fuel quality fuel pressure
so how would alter the fuel quality, put in high test?
yes it may take a few tanks to see results
ok..Im trusting you. On the fuel quality. As far as pressure what do I do to fix that?
it should be checked and then repaired per the diagnostics. it may not be fuel pressure at all. You said you are sure the engine mounts are not bad how do you know that?
because I had an issue with mount on other vehicles and I had my husband rev the engine while I looked at it, It didn't really move.
It may not move if it collapsed. You should have it checked by a professional to be sure.
I can see the motor mount and its not worn. when idle the rpms hover arounf 1500 but it float a lil below that then rough idles..thats why I though maybe the timing belt?

at this point it could be anything it needs be be diagnosed properly using

NVH [noise,vibration,harshness] diagnostics procedures.

k..does that have to be at a dealership or can somewhere like autozone do it?
It should be done by a mechanic either at the dealer or an independent shop they are trained to detect problems not the parts guys
lol..ok..I will have it checked..you've made feel better that its not something major though..hoping the dts results are correct.
ok good luck and whatever it is hope it dont cost you an arm and a leg
ty.
your welcome
I just left you feedback..ty again..I'm also going to check the egr valve and o2 sensor..It can't hurt.
Your right can't hurt but either of those should set a fault code
Then I'm at a loss..not sure what the heck is going on with it..just afraid of going to the dealership or garage and getting lied to..benn there done that
get more than one written estimates and go in and act as if you are well informed as it sounds to me like you are