Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Rear windshield wiper motor keeps running. On off switch seems o.k.

6/24/2010
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
hi, this is cause by the wiper module located on the back of the motor , you need to replace the wiper motor to fix this problem the module is build inside.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX get back to you as soon as get new motor.
ok.
Installed new motor and the same thing happens. Cannot shut motor off. Could it be a defective on off switch. The motor is pretty expensive.
is the motor well secure ? is the ground ok?
Yes, it is grounded properly. Have checked power from the on off switch, with the motor disconnected and there is power on all the time wherer the switch is on or off.
ok, have you disconnected the switch to see if it stops?
How do you get at the switch ? Do you have to take the dash apart?
you need to remove the upper and the lower half steering cove out and then the switch .
Does the part that holds the other three switches not somehow come out the front of the dash? Can you not pop out the part that holds the switches? Looks like it would be quite a job to start taking the steering cove apart and then trying to get at the switches.
is the wiper switch on the left side of the steering housing on the signal light level or is it on the dash board?
It is on the dashboard directly oposite the gas guage. That is on the right side of the steering wheel.
ok this wipers are control by the body computer can you disconnect the body computer and see if they continue to stay on
Body Control Module
Body Control Module

?
Can't find anything that looks like the drawing. How big is it? Which side of the steering wheel is it on? Will be home in the early afternoon.
Are you there? Still can't find anything.
any luck finding it?
Again I ask, how big is it?. What side of the steering wheel is it on?. There does not seem to be any body control module that I can see, even with a mirror.
ok, as the picture shows is under the center console its a box gray in color and has 2 or 3 conector harness plugged in to it and is aproximatly 4x7
in size
Body Control Module
Body Control Module System

4"x 7" in size.
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
O.K, I will see if I can find it again. Will let you know.
ok.
Found it and disconnected both plugs but the wiper motor continues to run. What know?
ok then the problem has to be the switch, the front dash cover and remove the switch and disconnect it see if it goes out.

Fig. 6 Instrument Cluster Bezel

1. Remove warning indicator grille, by prying up with a screwdriver.
  2. Remove three warning indicator modulator screws, then the modulator.
  3. Remove steering column cover, set parking brake, then place gear selector lever into low position.
  4. Remove cluster bezel, then disconnect wiper switch wire connectors.
  5. Remove switch by unsnapping from back side of cluster bezel.
  6. Reverse procedure to install. Rearm airbag system as described under "Airbag System Disarming."

As I am leaving town tomorrow, I will have to leave that part till next Monday and then I will contact you. Thanks.
ok, no problem i will leave the window open for you.
There are two modules, one on top of the other. Both have two plugs. One is bright silver and the other one is grey in color, Look similar in size.
one is the washer and the other is for wipers disconnect both and if the wiper stops then reconnect one of them to see wish one is the one with the problem.

Have given up hope. If i new the wire to the switch was hot from the fuse box or whatever and then went to the rear wiper motor then I would be able to understant how the motor works. Seems like a lot of work to remove the cowlings.

If the wire to the motor is hot all the time and it comes from the switch then I can see how the switch is faulty. Derek

sorry but the only way to know is disconnecting the switch, you all ready disconnected the body computer wish controls the ground side of it and made no difference, we need to do the same with the switch.
Would that be the final test?
yes it will.
Don't have time at present to do this so I will pay you now. Thanks, Derek
How come this just this just came. I just paid you. Derek
ok, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX you pay now you can still continue with me. they wont charge you any more.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX back to you shortly.
When I was driving on the highway last nite the engine warning lite came on. This morning the lite does not come on when I start it and drive it. What does this indicate?
if the engine light when on it is possible you may have a sensor problem or electrical problem the only way to know is checking for codes stored in the memory of the computer, and to do this you need a scanner to access the computer and get the codes. you can have a repair shop do this for you they will usually not charge to scan the computer for you and give you a list of the codes found , ones you get this codes let me know and i will tell you what the problem is.
Will do. So far today the engine light has not come on.
ok.