Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 Chrysler: banging..its running really rough now

Customer Question
I am hearing a lound...
I am hearing a lound banging sound whenever I start my 2002 Chrysler Town and Country. It starts as soon as I start the car and then every time I stop. It also sounds like its running really rough now. I do not hear the noise when Im drivning though. Any ideas what it could be?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chrysler
6/18/2010
Chrysler Mechanic: nick, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
nick
nick, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, Welcome to Just answer,
How many miles is on your van, plus it is almost sounding like you might have more than one issue going on. Have you recently have the vehicle in for service work? I almost sounds like you have a motor mount broke, there are more than one on the vehicle. DO you here the noise when putting the van in drive or reverse? what kind of banging sound (ie, repeating, 1 loud bang, cyclical) I am just trying to determine where the banging might be coming from?
My van just hit 100,000 a couple weeks ago. Yes, I do hear it in drive but have not noticed it in reverse. It was in for service back in Feb for an oil change, rear brakes replaced, 2 tires and an alignment. I dont really know how to describe the noise but my kids say it sounds like someone banging on drums. It is repeating.
I wish I could help you further with this, I believe it is going to have to go back to the repair shop for this noise. There are so many different possibilities on what it could be. If your check engine light is NOT on then it shouldn't have anything to do with the engine, so it could possibly be just a broken mount of some sort. It also might be a good idea for a tune up and plug wires cause of 100,000 miles and just get an inspection done on the Van. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, I will be more than happy to help you out.