Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2003..gasket...checked the fan...and the relay..radiator…

Customer Question
My 2003 PT is overheating...we...
My 2003 PT is overheating...we have changed the thermostat...checked the gasket...checked the fan...and the relay...and are now flushing the radiator...when we first put the radiator flush liquid in...the water in the reservoir turned brown which I thought was promisinr. We haven't finished the flush yet...but it's really overheating fast now. I really need help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chrysler
6/16/2010
Chrysler Mechanic: jeepmopar76, Chrysler Triple Master Tech replied 8 years ago
jeepmopar76
jeepmopar76, Chrysler Triple Master Tech

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Denny; now let me see if I can help you with your Chrysler question

You may also have a water pump issue; I have seen the impellers crack and free-wheel, if they are plastic, and I have seen the metal ones rust away, until there is nothing left but stubs. ( I assume you have the cooling fan coming on when it gets hot)

How difficult is it to replace the water pump? DSo you really need to remove the harmonic balance and the lower strut? How long would it take a competant non pro to replace the pump?
This is a pretty tough job, as it runs on the timing belt. It is a double overhead cam engine, and has to be reset exactly, or more trouble will come. The PT fenders are wrapped around the motor, which makes it a very tough job. I hate this job, and I have been doing this a long time. You need to exhaust all other options, before you decide to tackle this job.