Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 Chrysler 300: engine light came..Park..65 highway kms each way…

Customer Question
I have a 2003 Chrysler...
I have a 2003 Chrysler 300 M Special and recently the engine light came on, there was a hard down-shift at ~ 20 Kph, and then the transaxle stayed in 2nd until I stopped, put in Park and restared the car. This has happend 6 or 7 times in the last week. I drive 65 highway kms each way to work on a daily basis so the car has 250K kilometers on it. The dealer has replaced the solenoids ($1175) and now has replaced the trans control unit ($900); however, the problem continues. It only happens when I go above 120 KPH. The light comes on (if it is not already on), and when slowing to 0 the hard downshift occurs, and then when accelerating, the car goes to 'limp-in' mode until reset. If I stay at speeds less than 120, the problem does not happen.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2010
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you know what fault code is setting?

No I don't

Let's see if we can find out. Cycle the key from off to on three times ending with it on and watch the digital odometer display. Don't crank the starter, just off to on. The codes start with a P and have four numbers, there may be more than one stored. Write down any that you see and post them here.

I tried this, but nothing showed up on the odometer.

Try it again a few times and you'll get the hang of it.

Get in and close the doors. Put the key in and turn it one click forward - this is off. One click forward of that is on. Start with it off and go on, off, on, off, on and the odometer will change and show codes. Remember to not crank the starter, just off to on.

HERE is a short video I made showing the process.