Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

how do i bleed the lines of a hydrolic top for a chrysler sebring?

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chrysler
6/15/2010
Chrysler Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 8 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX will post the procedure for replacing the hydraulic cylinder, it will contain the procedure for bleeding the system, start at step 13 to bleed,Tim
Notes

This bulletin involves replacing both of the hydraulic cylinder mounting bracket nuts and washers and as needed replacing the hydraulic cylinders and hose kit.

1.If the hydraulic cylinder mounting nut or bracket is missing, inspect the area for signs of hydraulic fluid. If hydraulic fluid is found, determine where the fluid is coming from and replace the component(s) using the following repair procedure.

2.Close and latch the convertible top to access the rod eye bolts.

3.Disconnect the battery negative cable.

4.Remove the left and right side rod eye bolts.

5.Manually open the convertible top.

6.Remove the rear seat cushion, seat back, and inner quarter trim panels.

7.Remove the cylinder mounting nut bracket and separate the cylinder from the trunnion pivot mount (Figure 1). Repeat for the other side.

8.Label the upper and lower hydraulic cylinders for comparison on reassembly. Disconnect the upper and lower hydraulic line from both the right and left hydraulic cylinders.

9.Disconnect the upper and lower hydraulic lines from the hydraulic pump.

10.Separate the hydraulic lines from the vehicle. Remove the hydraulic cylinders from the vehicle.

11.Install the new hydraulic cylinders, leaving the cylinder mounting nut and bracket off until later in the Repair Procedure.

12.Install the new hydraulic lines to the cylinders and pump.

13.Rotate the cylinders 180 degrees (the hose fittings will now face the front of the car).

14.Connect the negative battery cable.

15.Disconnect the motor wire connector retaining clip from the body.

16.Rotate and raise the motor/pump assembly so the reservoir is in the up position. The rubber filler plug will be at the top.

17.Raise the motor and pump fitting to at least 2" above the horizontal rear seat back reinforcement.

18.Tilt the motor and pump assembly to approximately the 10 o'clock position, with the rubber filler plug still at the top.

CAUTION : THE MOTOR AND PUMP ASSEMBLY MUST REMAIN IN THE CURRENT POSITION UNTIL THE RUBBER FILLER PLUG IS REINSTALLED IN STEP 22.

19.Remove the rubber fill plug from the reservoir.

20.Fill the hydraulic system by adding Dexron 2 Automatic Transmission Fluid to the bottom of the fill hole.

CAUTION : DO NOT OPERATE THE TOP SWITCH IN THE "UP" (CLOSING THE TOP) DIRECTION.

21.With two people, activate the top switch in the "down" (opening the top) position to fully retract the cylinder rods and hold for approximately 5 seconds, until the motor and pump stalls. A percolating or gurgle sound/feeling is an indication that the procedure is working.

22.Top off the pump with Dexron 2 and insert the filler plug.

23.Install the motor/pump assembly into the vehicle mounting bracket.

24.Rotate the cylinders back to the original position (hose fittings facing rearward).

25.Install the motor lead and hydraulic line clips (the hydraulic line clips are to assist in the production process) to ensure that the seat back/seat cushion do not pinch the lines. If the sticky side is no longer holding to the floor pan, the clips can be left off.

26.Ensure that the bushing is still on the trunnion pivot mount and bracket. Tap the top switch in the "up" (raising the top) to get the cylinder trunnion onto the trunnion pivot mounts, if needed.

CAUTION : INSURE THAT THE DETENT ON THE CYLINDER MOUNTING BRACKET IS SEATED IN THE HOLE IN THE MAIN PIVOT BRACKET BEFORE TORQUING.

27.Install the new cylinder mounting bracket nut and washer and torque to 275 in.lbs. (Figure 1).

28.Clean any excess hydraulic fluid from work area.

29.Activate the pump and check for leaks.

30.Two people should manually close and latch the top to access the installation of the rod eye bolts. It may be necessary to operate the switch to achieve proper position of the cylinders to install the rod eye bolts. Torque the bolts to 275 in.-lbs. (23 ft.lbs).

31.Raise and lower the top to ensure proper operation.

32.Install the inner quarter trim panels, seat back and seat cushion.

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
how do bleed the system if im replacing whole top not just the cylinders i have a top put on that has the cylinders already attached to the top itself do i need to fallow the exact procedure u answerd earlier or can i just raise pump 2' and not have to rotate the cylinder pumps?
You will use the same procedure, and you have to rotate the cylinders,Tim