Max Kenney
Max Kenney, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 years with Chrysler Corp. as a service engineer & technical instructor. ASE Master Auto Tech.
23860428

2003 dodge ram 2500: voltage guage..calipers..rotors

Customer Question

I have a 2003 dodge ram 2500, with 5.7 hemi engine. I have been having issues with my brakes and voltage guage. Randomly different calipers will lock up and the rotors will start smoking after driving a little while. It had done this for the past 2 years but only once in awhile, now for the past 2 months it seems to do it everytime I drive it. This is also when the battery voltage guage quit working. Once in awhile it will start working and stop again. Also sometimes the check engine light comes on and it throws different codes everytime. I did have to change the crankshaft sensor withint this time period since it all started, the truck wouldn't run at all. I did the instrument cluster test and it came back with an AB code, in my book it says that means something with the TCM is wrong. I checked all the wiring that I could find and nothing is visibly wrong.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Max Kenney replied 8 years ago.

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I may be able to help you with your brake problem.

I have seen this problem in the past and sometimes I have found that the brake light switch in misadjusted and not allowing the brake pedal to return fully and uncover the compensation ports in the master cylinder.

If you have the skill to adjust it yourself I'll give you the procedure here, if not take it to the dealer or a brake shop, they can check it for you.

The brake light swt. is located under the dash near the top of the brake pedal pivot, follow the brake pedal shaft up and you will see a swt. with some wires attached to it touching the shaft.

Loosen the bolt that holds the swt. to the pedal bracket and slide the swt. away from the pedal shaft.

Have someone stand at the rear of the trk. to watch the brake lights, now start to move the swt. toward the shaft and when the brake lights just come on tighten the adj. bolt.

You should have a small amount upward free play in the brake pedal.

Check that the brake light are off when the pedal is at rest with your foot off of it.

Go drive the vehicle and get back to me with the results.

Hope this helps.

Max