Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

what is wrong with my car having starting problems

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chrysler
6/11/2010
Chrysler Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 8 years ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
hi, have you try checking the relay circuit in the starter relay?, if you have not i can show you how all you need is a test light.

car started this am, ran for bout 10 mins and turned it off, waited 1 hr and now car will not start again.

when key is inserted and turned to the on i can hear the usual humming noise which i believe is normal than tried to start car, and got nothing no turn over or crank,

ok, the humming you here is normal, the possible problem here may be the starter or the starter relay, lest test the starter draw by turning the lights on then turn the key to crank and see if the lights will dim as you hold the key to crank position you may need another person to look at the head lights as you are inside the truck.

ok, lights do not dim, starter is new

was able to disconnect battery, than reconnect battery, hit the alarm switch to off

sometimes car will start, but once turned off, after running few mins, try to restart the car again, and nothing happens again, lights bright inside dash lights ok, horn ok, just when ya turn the key no crank/turn over to start

ok, if the lights do not dim as you crank the engine then the problem is no power is going to the starter if the lights dim then it means there is load on the starter, so this lives us with a possible safety neutral switch, or the starter relay and for this we need a test light do you have one?