Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Pt..slowing..this started right after the dealership

Customer Question
my wifes 01 pt...
my wifes 01 pt goes clunk clunk when it downshifts when slowing to a stop? this started right after the dealership changed the filter and 4 quarts of fluid?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chrysler
6/9/2010
Chrysler Mechanic: Richard, Chrysler Technician replied 8 years ago
Richard, Chrysler Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Harsh shifting can sometimes happen after the oil is changed and they don't let it run long enough before putting it in gear.

This transmission is fully adaptive and the TCM monitors all the shifts with pressure switches. When you shift into drive too soon after changing the transmission oil, it will have a delayed shift because the system lost it's prime. When there is a delay the TCM tries to compensate by increasing the clutch volume index. The clutch volume index is a calculated time it takes to apply a clutch. When you put into drive when there is a loss of prime it starts to count up and when there is no more loss of prime, it will have harsh downshifts from 4th to 3rd gear.

The dealer can do a quick learn to re-learn the clutch volume indexes and I would suggest having them do that. It only takes about 10 minutes to do and the vehicle should be at operating temperature.

I don't think you should be charged for this, just print this off and let them know what I have mentioned.

I hope this helps, let me know!

Thank you,

Richard, Chrysler Technician
THE LOCAL TRANISSION SHOP, SAYS FOR AROUND $300.00 THEY WILL DO A COMPLETE FLUSH AND ADD SYNCETIC FLUID, AND THIS SHOULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM?

I can't see doing a flush will solve this. I would try the quick learn first. All they have to do is hook up their scan tool and go into the TCM to start the quick learn and it only takes 10 minutes.

We never do flushes in our shop because we have seen too many problems caused by flushing and I don't recommend it be done on any vehicle. It stirs up sludge, clutch material, filings and etc and can sometimes cause shifting issues after because it can force debris into certain areas.

If you want to get it done it is totally up to you and you may not have any problems, I just thought I would give you my opinion on flushing.

Thank you,

I HAVE CALLED MY DEALER @ LUMS AUTO IN WARRENTON, OREGON AND THEY HAVE AGREED TO DO THE TCM AT NO CHARGE? THANK YOU!

You are very welcome!

Thank you,