Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 town and country yesterday i went to the store when i…

Customer Question
i have a 2004 town...
i have a 2004 town and country yesterday i went to the store when i got back to my car I put the key in and it will not turn or move. i cant do anything to move the key any ideas for help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chrysler
6/9/2010
Chrysler Mechanic: brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
brownjeff :

Try turning the steering wheel as far to the left as possible and turning the key at the same time. If this doesn't work try turning the steering wheel as far to the right as possible and turning the key at the same time. If this doesn't work spray some wd40 into the lock and put the key in and tap on the end of the key with a hammer and turn it at the same time. If none of these work the lock cylinder will need to be replaced. Normally one of these will fix it with out replacing the cylinder, but if you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done. Thanks, JB

Customer:

those things were tried already. when i tried turning the wheel and starting I noticed that the wheel never locked. The car has only 85000 miles on it is this a common problem? also cna you give me the approximate cost of a new lock cylinder?

brownjeff :

To have the cylinder replaced will be around $150.00 and yes it is some what of a common problem. Normally you can free up the tumblers with the wd40, but if you can't the cylinder will need to be replaced.

Customer:

thanks for your help. one more thing if you could. i recently bought this car and I have no warranty left. is there someplace you know of or reccomend to get another warranty or something to protect myself with repairs? also, I probably should have asked this before but is this a good car as far as breaking down/problems etc.? what are the main problems this car usually has?

brownjeff :

There are many places that will sell a warranty honestly don't know a name off the top of my head but sure if you checked on the internet you would find them, but don't have a recomendation. As for the vehicle itself it is a good vehicle as far as the major things go but has it's problems with the little things like power windows, locks, etc. but the drivetrain is soild