Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 Chrysler Sebring: gear it went dead and would not start again…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Chrysler...
I have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring. It started today but when I put into gear it went dead and would not start again. Lights and radio work but I have no ignition. My husband does not think this is a battery problem. Could it possibly be a relay or a fuse?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chrysler
6/9/2010
Chrysler Mechanic: CDJMasterTech, Chrysler MasterTech replied 8 years ago
CDJMasterTech
CDJMasterTech, Chrysler MasterTech
It could be anything, but a battery or battery connection problem is certainly the most likely. Try turning the headlights on and attempting to start the vehicle, if the lights dim, or go out while trying to start, then you have a bad battery or battery connection. It is possible for a battery to fail in such a way as to be able to supply enough power for the lights and radio, but not enough to start the engine. Starting the engine takes significantly more power.
That's not it. There is no power to the starter. Could it be a relay?
Yes there is a starter motor in the power distribution center under the hood. The relay could have failed, althouYgh this is unlikely. To check, simply change the starter relay with one of the other relays of the same size in the power distribution center. If the car starts, then the relay is bad.