Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I have a 2004 pt cruiser and it will not turn over. i

i have a 2004 pt...
i have a 2004 pt cruiser and it will not turn over. i replaced the starter and that was not the problem but i have power to everything. i brought the codes up and got p 0499 and p 0688. am very perplexed by this and cant seem to find much info so far.
4/24/2010
Richard, Chrysler Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

So, when you turn the key to the start position, the starter doesn't engage and crank the engine over is that correct?

that is correct. if i jump the solenoid to the starter the engine turns over but does not fire also.

Can you remove the starter relay from the fuse box in the engine compartment and jump terminal 30 to 87 and see if the starter cranks the engine over. Do this with transmission in park and key off. The cover should show the location of the starter relay.

The relay terminals are numbered on the terminal side.

yes it cranks over. excuse the delay. i am on a home pc and car is at different location

No problem! I am having site issues, so if I don't respond it is because of the site.

Did the vehicle quit on the road and not re-start or did it just not start one day?

Did it start and stall three times and now not turn over?

i was at a garage and i took out a spark plug that i have had problems with fouling out due to oil laying on top of it. i took the plug out then turned it over to blow the oil out and it turned over then wouldnt.. i replace the plug and wire then tried to start it and it would not crank. thought it was the starter so replaced it and found it was not. has never occurred in past. have 140k miles on car and do service and most repairs myself.

With the relay removed, can you use a test light(not a multimeter) and test terminal 85 and 86 for power, while someone holds the key in the start position. There should be power at one, it doesn't matter which one. Mark the one that has power. If there is power, I need you to hook your test light alligator clip to the positive battery terminal and test the terminal that didn't have power. This is testing the ground side of the relay control.

Test this wire with the key on and let me know what you find!

Thanks,

i did as you instructed and there was neither power or ground in either 85 nor 86 when the key was held in start position. i checked the test light and found power at 30 also

Can you remove the upper steering column shrouds and test the yellow wire at the ignition switch for power when you turn the key to the start position. The yellow wire should have power in the start position. This is the wire that feeds the relay 85 or 86.

i have power in the yellow wire when the key is engaged. i do not have when it is not.

That yellow wire feeds the starter relay coil terminal 86 or 85 and if you don't have power at 85 or 86, there has to be a break in the circuit. Can you double check those terminals for power when the key is in the start position. You might have to turn the box over and check the yellow wire.
i will go double check it but what is my fix? where should i start looking to find my problem or correct it? i wasn't positive i saw yellow wire like that in the wiring harness in the engine compartment. does it change colors or is the a fusable link or something in between that i could check? i will wait on a reply from you before i go double check it and turn the box over to find out. thanks Jon

That wire does not change color. The yellow wire from the switch feeds the starter relay terminal 85 or 86, it can be either one. There is no fuse in between!

There is a connector in between the switch and relay and you could check for power there. The connector is under the dash and is white. There are 2 connectors side by side that connect your instrument panel wiring to the engine compartment wiring.

Check to make sure there is nothing spliced into the yellow wire under the dash.

If you have a break in the wire, we will have to find the break, by tracing that yellow wire.

I would turn the fuse box upside down and inspect the yellow wire. Make sure it isn't pushed out of the box.

Let me know, once you test this and I will try and help you isolate the problem.

Thanks,

i got more help and found that i do have power out on the yellow wire but i have no grounds at all in the power relays. i jumped the ground out of the starter relay and got the car to turn over with the key but would not fire. i jumped a ground to the fuel pump relay at the same time and the pump buzzed but still would not fire. i am getting really confused at this point. i hope this makes more sense to you towards helping find a solution.

Can you tell me if the round red security led in the cluster stays on after the key has been on for 10 seconds, or flashes?

It sounds like you have a problem with the sentry key immobilizer system or the PCM.

If the PCM doesn't see a valid message from the SKIM after 6 times trying to start the vehicle, it will disable the starter relay ground driver until the problem is repaired.

Let me know!

Thanks

i checked the light in the display and it comes on and goes off without blinking. i tried it several times. i have been doing some digging to try to reset the pcm. do you think that could be the problem? the code that came up was p 0688 and that made sense as it came up as a disablement code. let me know what i can check next if you don't mind.

Fault code P0688 is a fault for the auto shut down relay circuit. This code has nothing to do with the no crank condition.

How did you get the code, do you have a code reader or did you read it off the odometer with the key cycle method?

off of the odometer

Can you check fuse # 13(20 amp) in the fuse box in the engine compartment?

Click this link for the diagram. http://senduit.com/97acb7

that fuse is good. i checked all the fuses and could find none bad.

It sounds like you have a bad PCM!

I guess the next step would be to verify we have power and ground to the PCM.

Can you disconnect the PCM connectors and test some terminals for me.

I can let you know, which ones to test if you want to do this!

i would like to do this. i will do it this evening if you would be kind enough to leave me instructions on this. i have to go to work today and was unable to get back with you last eve. please continue correspondence tho. i am very appreciative of all. thanks Jon

Hi Jon!

Click this link to download the PCM pinouts http://senduit.com/786247

When testing insert a small paper clip into the terminals so you don't spread them with your test light probe. Test all the wires that have battery and ignition power and all grounds. To test the ground just hook your test light to the positive battery cable and test the ground terminals.

Battery power is live at all times and the fused ignition power needs to have the key turned on.

Let me know if you have any questions, I will be online for quite awhile tonight.

Thanks,

Richard, Chrysler Technician
Richard, Chrysler Technician