Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

how to change timing belt and water pump chrysler voyager

Customer Question
4,2l my email...
how to change timing belt and water pump chrysler voyager 4,2l my email
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chrysler
3/5/2010
Chrysler Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 7 years ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
hi, i can help you with this vehicle but the engine size is the wrong size can you tell me if you have a v6 engine if it is then you should have a 3.0 litter or 3.3litter, or 3.8litters do you know wish one it is?
please can you send a picture of it.I don't have cam pulley wrench my car engine size is 2,4l
ok, this is the procedure on timing belt removal and replacement . next i will send you the water pump removal and replacement, but do me a favor and please print or copy this page right now so i can send you the other picture.
Notes

REMOVAL

1. Raise vehicle on hoist. Remove right front wheel.
  2. Remove right inner splash shield.
  3. Remove accessory drive belts.
  4. Remove crankshaft damper bolt, and remove damper.
  5. Remove generator belt idler pulley.

Fig. 83

1. Remove lower timing belt cover fasteners and remove cover (Fig. 83).
  2. Lower vehicle and remove upper timing belt cover fasteners and remove cover
  3. Remove right engine mount and support bracket. CAUTION: When aligning crankshaft and camshaft timing marks always rotate engine from crankshaft. Camshaft should not be rotated after timing belt is removed. Damage to valve components may occur. Always align timing marks before removing timing belt.

Fig. 84

1. Before the removal of the timing belt, rotate crankshaft until TDC mark on oil pump housing aligns with TDC mark on crankshaft sprocket (trailing edge of sprocket tooth) (Fig. 84). NOTE: The crankshaft sprocket mark is located on the trailing edge of the sprocket tooth. Failure to align trailing edge of sprocket tooth to mark on oil pump housing will cause the camshaft marks to be misaligned (Fig. 84).

Fig. 85

1. Install 6 mm Allen wrench into belt tensioner. Before rotating the tensioner insert the long end of a 1/8" or 3 mm Allen wrench into the pin hole on the front of the tensioner (Fig. 85). While rotating the tensioner counterclockwise push in lightly on the 1/8" or 3 mm Allen wrench, until it slides into the locking hole.
  2. Remove timing belt. CAUTION: If timing belt was damaged due to incorrect tracking (alignment), the belt tensioner assembly must be replace. Refer to Timing Belt Tensioner Assembly Removal and Installation procedure.

INSTALLATION

1. Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.

Fig. 86

1. Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket is a 1/2 notch below the intake camshaft sprocket (Fig. 86). CAUTION: Ensure that the arrows on both camshaft sprockets are facing up.

Fig. 87

1. Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner (Fig. 87).
  2. Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise (Fig. 87) to align marks and take up belt slack. NOTE: A new tensioner is held in the wound position by a pull pin.
  3. Remove the pull pin or Allen wrench from the belt tensioner.

Fig. 88

1. Once timing belt has been installed and tensioner released, rotate crankshaft two (2) complete revolutions. Verify that the TDC marks on crankshaft and timing marks on the camshafts are aligned as shown in (Fig. 88).
  2. Install right engine mount and support bracket.
  3. Install upper timing belt cover bolts 4.5 Nm (40 in. lbs.) .
  4. Install the lower timing belt cover bolts 4.5 Nm (40 in. lbs.) .
  5. Install generator belt idler pulley and tighten bolt 54 Nm (40 ft. lbs.) .
  6. Install crankshaft damper.
  7. Install accessory drive belts.
  8. Install right inner splash shield.
  9. Install right front wheel.

ok, here is the water pump procidure make sure you copy or print im
Notes

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect negative cable from battery.
  2. Raise vehicle on a hoist. Remove right inner splash shield.
  3. Remove accessory drive belts.
  4. Drain cooling system.
  5. Support engine from the bottom and remove right engine mount.
  6. Remove right engine mount bracket.
  7. Remove timing belt. Refer to Engine for procedure.
  8. Remove timing belt idler pulley.
  9. Hold camshaft sprocket with Special tool C-4687 and adaptor C-4687-1 while removing bolt. Remove both cam sprockets.
  10. Remove rear timing belt cover.

INSTALLATION

1. Install new O-ring gasket in water pump body O-ring groove. CAUTION: Make sure O-ring is properly seated in water pump groove before tightening screws. An improperly located O-ring may cause damage to the O-ring and cause a coolant leak.

1. Assemble pump body to block and tighten screws to 12 Nm (105 inch lbs.) . Pressurize cooling system to 15 psi with pressure tester and check water pump shaft seal and O-ring for leaks.
  2. Rotate pump by hand to check for freedom of movement.
  3. Install rear timing belt cover.
  4. Install camshaft sprockets and torque bolts to 101 Nm (75 ft. lbs.) .
  5. Install timing belt idler pulley and torque mounting bolt to 61 Nm (45 ft. lbs.) .
  6. Install timing belt. Refer to Engine for procedure.
  7. Install right engine mount bracket and engine mount. Refer to Engine for procedure.
  8. Fill cooling system.
  9. Install accessory drive belts.
  10. Lower vehicle and connect battery cable.

idiatly, thank you.
I don't have wrench to hold tightly the camshaft. can you help with this?
ok, there is a tool for this is call camshaft gear aligment tool is a tool that goes betweeng the gear and you need to install it before you remove the belt this tool is found in a regular auto parts is not expensive and makes the job much easier, if you have a napa store or carquest, or sears this stores will rent the tool to you for a couple of dollars , but if you dont then you can use small bice greep plyer, it is a little dificult to get this pulleys align with out the tool that is whay i will recomend to get it.
thankyou

you are welcome , good luck i am sure you will be ok, just be patient. dont ruch the job, timing belts require time and consentration.

Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
i am losted all imedges, sorry
ok,make sure you copy or print
Notes

REMOVAL

2. Remove right inner splash shield.
  3. Remove accessory drive belts.
  5. Remove generator belt idler pulley.

Fig. 83

Fig. 84

Fig. 85

INSTALLATION

Fig. 86

Fig. 87

Fig. 88

6. Install crankshaft damper.
  7. Install accessory drive belts.
  8. Install right inner splash shield.
  9. Install right front wheel.

right away.
Notes

REMOVAL

3. Remove accessory drive belts.
  4. Drain cooling system.
  6. Remove right engine mount bracket.
  8. Remove timing belt idler pulley.
  10. Remove rear timing belt cover.

INSTALLATION

3. Install rear timing belt cover.
  8. Fill cooling system.
  9. Install accessory drive belts.

Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech