Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

sebring: Malfunction indicator light on in dash..possible problems

Customer Question
Malfunction indicator light on in...
Malfunction indicator light on in dash on 06 sebring. What possible problems could cause this light to be on?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/29/2010
Chrysler Mechanic: brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Did they give you any code numbers?
NO
First of all it is impossible to hook up a scanner and it tell you that! Most likely it was a misfire on the number three cylinder which can be caused by a spark plug, coil, or injector. You would need to inspect these items to find out which one is failing
Spark plug has been replaced and coil also
Then I would replace the injector.
Before we wrap up they ran a compression check and said #3 cyl. is 50lbs lower than all others. Could that be from the injector?
No. Most likely a valve not seating due to carbon, but this was most likely caused by the injector. Try cleaning the injectors and doing a top engine cleaning to remove the carbon from the valves. This is a product that gets sprayed into the vacuum lines of the engine and then it soaks in for a while and then take it out and run the engine hard to loosen up the carbon. The specific information will be on the can of the product.
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Thank You. We will try your suggestion

Your welcome.

Good Luck,

JB

brownjeff
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician