John, triple chrysler master tech
Experience:  43 years,triple chrys ,ase master tech,l1,t2 b5 a1-a8 Hev spec.
9510839

How do I replace a battery in a 2006 PT cruiser Turb0 (180

Customer Question

How do I replace a battery in a 2006 PT cruiser Turb0 (180HP)?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.

BATTERY

GASOLINE ENGINE

REMOVAL

WARNING:

• TO PROTECT THE HANDS FROM BATTERY ACID, A SUITABLE PAIR OF HEAVY DUTY RUBBER GLOVES SHOULD BE WORN WHEN REMOVING OR SERVICING A BATTERY. SAFETY GLASSES ALSO SHOULD BE WORN.
  • REMOVE METALLIC JEWELRY TO AVOID INJURY BY ACCIDENTAL ARCING OF BATTERY CURRENT .

1. Make sure ignition switch is in OFF position and all accessories are OFF.
  2. Open hood.
  3. Remove the air cleaner housing.
  4. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable then the positive cable.

1. Loosen bolt (4) and retainer (1) that holds the battery down to the tray.
  2. Lift battery out of battery tray and remove from vehicle.
  3. Remove thermal guard (if equipped) from battery.

INSTALLATION

CAUTION: Vehicles equipped with the turbocharged engine use a unique battery hold down. If the replacement battery is not identical, in size to the original, it may be necessary to use non-corrosive spacers on top of the hold down retainer to properly secure the battery in the battery tray.

When replacing battery, the thermal guard MUST be transferred to the new battery (if equipped).

1. Install battery in vehicle making sure that the thermal guard (if equipped) is present and battery is properly positioned on battery tray.
  2. Install battery hold down hardware (1), (2), (3) and (4) making sure that it is properly positioned on battery. Torque clamp to 12.5 N.m (110 in. lbs.) .
  3. Install battery cables on battery posts. Install battery positive cable first.
  4. Torque clamp nuts to 12.5 N.m (110 in. lbs.) .
  5. Install air cleaner housing.
  6. Close hood.
  7. Verify proper vehicle operation.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The answer doesn't speak to the air duct inside the air filter box on a turbo PT cruiser.
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
This duct just pulls off. I do not have a picture of it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Very tight air duct connect and I couldn't see how to just pull it off. I need a little more than that. I do not want to do the wrong thing and bust something up. I need more.
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
I have sent you all the info from the shop manual. I dont have any pictures of it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

That answer does not repond to my question about changing a battery in a 2006 PT Cruiser Turbo (180HP). You gave me what I have already tried. Which did not help me solve my problem, as such I can not accept you answer because it doesn't solve my problem.

Customer/p>
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
OK I will opt out. The info I sent you is right out of the factory shop manual.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Hi my name is John.

Is this what your talking about.

graphic

Let me know what else you need.

If I have help you ,please push the accept button when were done.

Thank you for choosing just answer

John, triple chrysler master tech
Experience: 43 years,triple chrys ,ase master tech,l1,t2 b5 a1-a8 Hev spec.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
That the charge air hose, it should have a clamp that either unscrews or if it the plastic one you lift the top of the clamp and the teeth will let it go so you can remove the hose.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The diagram is close to what I'm talking about, but i can't pull the air cleaner housing straight up because the air duct is attached. The diagram must be part of the high option (OH) turbo (230HP) and not the smaller turbo (180HP). That duct doesn't allow that kind of movement. Close , but not right yet.

Levelt

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

The book say that both of them come off the same way, Have you tried just tying the air cleaner unit back with a bungge cord to replace the battery?

This is the only other picture they give me at chrysler.

graphic

The only other thing I can think of for you , would be to disconnect it at the other end.

Can you take a picture of the clamp you are dealing with and send it to me with the inserter next to the you tube button on the screen?

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Thank you