Matt J
Matt J, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Tech,10+ Yrs Experince All Makes,Advance Training GM, Toyota ,VW, Kia,Plus More
14582819

My 2006 PT Cruiser Touring steering wheel is shaking violently

Customer Question

My 2006 PT Cruiser Touring steering wheel is shaking violently at a low speed. Why?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Matt J replied 7 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more thn happy to assist you.

Normally this is caused by inner, outter, or both inner and outter tie rods being worn and loose.

Tie rod free-play can be measured using the following hand methods:

NOTE: When checking free-play, DO NOT rotate the tie rod. Just because a tie rod rotates easily does not mean that it is necessarily faulty.

NOTE: Always check and repair (if necessary) outer tie rod free-play before checking inner tie rod free-play. False results can otherwise be obtained.

OUTER TIE ROD

Grasp the outer tie rod near the ball stud and attempt to move the tie rod straight up and down. If any free-play is felt, replace the outer tie rod. If no free-play is felt at the outer tie rod, attempt to move the inner tie rod in the same manner. Refer to the following procedure.

INNER TIE ROD

Grasp the inner tie rod near the steering gear bellows and attempt to move the tie rod straight up and down. If any free-play is felt, replace the inner tie rod.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

When I go to the auto shop, what should I tell them?

Expert:  Matt J replied 7 years ago.
Just tell the shop you have a vibration in the steering and tell them when it happens. From there they will put it on a alignment rack and check everything.