Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

2001 Chrysler 300m. Cannot remove passinger side drive axle

Customer Question
from trans. Prying not...
2001 Chrysler 300m. Cannot remove passinger side drive axle from trans. Prying not working. Is there a trick or something I'm missing.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chrysler
11/10/2009
Chrysler Mechanic: Chris, Technician replied 8 years ago
Chris
Chris, Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer Chrysler. The inner CV joint should come off of the transaxle stub shaft by prying wit a large pry bar. There really is no other trick or retaining clip that needs to be removed. Here is the information from the factory service manual. Hope this will help,

Chris

REMOVAL

1. Raise vehicle on jackstands or centered on a frame contact type hoist.
  2. Remove the front wheel and tire assembly from the vehicle.
  3. Remove the front caliper assembly from the front steering knuckle assembly (Disc Brake Caliper Mounting).
  4. Remove front braking disk (rotor) from hub, by pulling it straight off wheel mounting studs (Removing Braking Disc).
  5. Remove the speed sensor cable routing bracket from the strut assembly (Speed Sensor Cable Routing Bracket).
  6. Remove the hub and bearing-to-stub axle retaining nut (Hub And Bearing To Stub Axle Retaining Nut).
  7. Dislodge inner tripod joint from stub shaft retaining snap ring on transaxle assembly (Inner Tripod Joint Removal from Stub Shaft). Inner tripod joint is dislodged from stub shaft retaining snap ring, by inserting a pry bar between transaxle case and inner tripod joint and prying on tripod joint. Only disengage the inner tripod joint from the retaining snap ring. Do not attempt to remove the inner tripod joint from the transmission stub shaft at this time.

CAUTION: The strut assembly to steering knuckle bolts are serrated where they go through strut assembly and steering knuckle. When removing bolts, turn nuts off bolts. DO NOT TURN BOLTS IN STEERING KNUCKLE. If bolts are turned, damage to steering knuckle will result.

8. Remove the strut assembly to steering knuckle attaching bolts (Strut Assembly To Steering Knuckle Attaching Bolts).
  9. Remove the top of the steering knuckle from the strut assembly.
  10. Hold outer C/V joint assembly with one hand. Grasp steering knuckle with other and rotate it out and to the rear of the vehicle, until outer C/V joint clears hub and bearing assembly (Outer C/V Joint Removal From Hub and Bearing).
  11. Remove driveshaft inner tripod joint from transaxle stub shaft. When removing driveshaft, do not pull on interconnecting shaft to remove inner tripod joint from stub shaft. Removal in this manner will separate the spider assembly from the tripod joint housing. Grasp inner tripod joint (Inner Tripod Joint Removal From Stub Shaft) and interconnecting shaft and pull on both pieces at the same time.

1 - TRANSMISSION STUB SHAFT
2 - INNER TRIPOD JOINT
3 - PRY BAR
4 - TRANSAXLE

Chris
Chris, Technician
Chris
Chris
Chris, Technician