Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

2003 Chrysler Town & Country: relays..fuse box..the PCM..fuel pump

Customer Question
I have a 2003 Chrysler...
I have a 2003 Chrysler Town & Country van

**starter fails to ingage you turn the key nothing *

Things i checked and replaced

starter checks good
starter solenoid checks good
relays are good(starter and fuel)
wireing all good
ignition switch checked good but still replaced

Note: you can here the relays click in the fuse box when you turn the key.
i am not getting power to the starter solenoid or the fuel pump.

will a bad park/Neutral Safety Switch make the PCM cut power to the start solenoid and fuel pump? or is it a bad PCM
if you think the safety switch is bad were is it? is this the same as the transmission position senor.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chrysler
11/3/2009
Chrysler Mechanic: Richard, Chrysler Technician replied 8 years ago
Richard, Chrysler Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Could you pull the starter relay out and take a piece of wire and jump terminal 30 to 87 in the terminals where the relay came out of and see if the starter cranks the engine over.

You don't need the key on for this. Let me know, thanks!

graphic

starter cranks

Have you tried to tilt the steering wheel to see if it will start/crank while tilting?

yes one of the 1st thing i did
Do you have a test light?
yes

With the starter relay removed could you test for power in terminal 86 and 85 when you have someone hold the key in the start(crank) position. One of them should have power, it can be either one as long as one has power in the crank position. Let me know. Thanks!

85 had power when i turned the kay

Have you tried to swap the relay with another one?

The only thing left is the relay control #86 or the relay itself. Let me know

yes i swaped the relays still the same.

why dont you think its the park/Neutral Safety Switch or the PCM

i am not getting power to the starter solenoid or the fuel pump. will a bad park/Neutral Safety Switch make the PCM cut power to the start solenoid and fuel pump?
It could very well be the PCM or the prndl switch. The PCM sends a ground to terminal 86 to operate the relay control and we now know that's not happening. I want to help you check the prndl switch so let me dig up the wiring diagram and I will be with you shortly. Thanks for working with me on this one your help is greatly appreciated!!
cool, i use alldata i was not able to find a good diagram>

if I hit accept (pay you) will i be able to still work with you>
getting late here in houston>

I will try and work with you until this is resolved!

Do you have a scan tool?

There is a simple way to test the prndl switch. All you have to do is unplug the switch on the left side of the trans and ground the yellow/dark blue wire and if the switch was the problem it will start.

Richard, Chrysler Technician
Okay grounded the yellow with a dark blue stripe (right) still not good
all that is left is the PCM right?
the only scanner i have is a code scanner OB-II

send me a replay

very late here talk to you tomorrow

good night

It's getting late here too. I will check a few things and get back to you tomorrow.

Good night!

Before replacing the PCM we need to verify we have good power and grounds to it.

I usually use a sealed beam headlight to check this, that way it will tell if we have a bad circuit by load testing it. If you don't have one just use a test light for now.

Here are the wires you need to check. Use a paper clip to go inside the terminals so you don't spread them with your light probe!

1-Turn the key on and test the pink/gray wire C1 connector on PCM which should be a gray/black connector. The wire is in terminal 20. There should be power.

2-have someone hold the key in the start position while you test terminal #38 yellow wire in the same connector. It should have power in the crank position.

3-Now move to the C2 connector(gray). Test terminal #46 orange/red wire. It should have battery power at all times.

4-Now we need to check the grounds. Hook your light lead to the positive battery post and probe terminal #10 black/brown wire in the C1 connector. The light should come on.

Then move to the C2 connector and test terminal 50 black/dark green wire. the light should come on.

Let me know how this goes! Thanks!

how did you know I had a sealed beam spot light (i use it as my test light some times)

by the way all checks are good (light came on)

That's great that you had one! Test lights can't load test the circuits and I have had a few cases where I replaced good parts because the test light and voltmeter aren't loading the circuit.

Looks like you are going to need a PCM.

It would be a good idea to try and access the PCM with a scan tool if you had one. I would like to know if the PCM has a no response or wether you can communicate with it. Let me know! Thanks

Richard, Chrysler Technician