Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

2004 Dodge Intrepid: 2.7 engine..problems with the transmission

I have a 2004 Dodge...
I have a 2004 Dodge Intrepid with the 2.7 engine. I am have problems with the transmission. The trans will not shift out of low it has reverse but it will not shift out of 1st gear. The fluid does not look discolored or burned but does have a slight smell. could you please advise as to what may be the problem and do you think it is in the value body or in the internal trans.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/8/2009
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Is the check engine light on and if so any codes?
Yes. DTC 700 & 750

These are codes for the pressure sensor...

What is the procedure for changing this sensor.

42LE - Automatic Transmission
VALVE BODY - REMOVAL

NOTE:If valve body is being reconditioned or replaced, it is necessary to perform the Quick Learn Procedure.

1. Disconnect the TRS wiring connector. The solenoid wiring connector can remain attached to the case.
  2. Disconnect the shift cable from the shift lever (at the transaxle).
  3. Move the shift lever clockwise as far as it will go. This should be one position past the L position. Then remove the shift lever.

1. Remove transaxle pan bolts (Fig. 408).

1. Remove transaxle oil pan (Fig. 409). When reinstalling oil pan be sure that pan flange is clean and oil free. Apply a 1/8 inch bead of Mopar Silicone Sealer onto oil pan flange before installing.

1. Remove oil filter from valve body (Fig. 410). It is held in place by two clips.

CAUTION:The 42LE transaxle oil filter is not interchangeable with the 41TE transaxle filter. Installation of a 41TE oil filter in a 42LE may cause transaxle damage.

1. Remove valve body bolts-to-case (Fig. 411).

1. Carefully remove valve body assembly from transaxle (Fig. 412). (Fig. 415)

CAUTION:The overdrive and underdrive accumulators and springs may fall out when removing the valve body (Fig. 413) (Fig. 414) (Fig. 415).

42LE - Automatic Transmission
SOLENOID/PRESSURE SWITCH ASSY

REMOVAL

NOTE:If the Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly is being replaced, the Quick Learn Procedure must be performed.
  1. Raise vehicle on hoist.
  2. Remove valve body assembly from transaxle.

1. Remove Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly retaining screws from solenoid (Fig. 380).

1. Remove Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly and screen from valve body (Fig. 381).

INSTALLATION

NOTE:If the Solenoid/Pressure Switch assembly is being replaced, the Quick Learn Procedure must be performed.

1. Install Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly and screen to the separator and transfer plates (Fig. 381).
  2. Install and tighten retaining screws (Fig. 380) to 6 Nm (35 inch lbs.) torque.
  3. Install valve body.

brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician

I just have a brief follow up. The underdrive servo and the overdrive servo. Just as you predicted the servos came out with the valvebody. I just need to know if they go back in with the springs toward the trans or the valvebody or up or down. the diagram you sent witrh your answer is not viewable any more.Thanks.

Customer

brownjeff
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician