Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

02 pt cruiser, 111,250 miles,in limp mode(2nd gear),trans shop

put on scanner, based on...
02 pt cruiser, 111,250 miles,in limp mode(2nd gear),trans shop put on scanner, based on code said i needed a new comp, they know what their doing when it comes to trans wrk,i bought a reman comp flashed for my veh,swapped it out, veh started, idled rough, i drove it for about two miles, idle smoothed out,trans still in limp mode, the reman comp model # XXXXX XXXXX by the last two digits which are letters,i don't if that is making a diff or not, with limited resources,what should be my next choice
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2009
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
When the vehicle was scanned what code/s did they get?
WELL THE ONLY #'S I HAVE ARE THE FOLLOWIG P0605 AND P0700 THE SOMONE WROTE THE WORDS INTERNAL TRANS CONT. ROM FAIL, TRANS MISSION FAULT PRESENT
Which module did you replace? The transmission control module or the power train control module?
ITS UNDER THE HOOD AT THE VERY TOP ON THE DRIVERS SIDE ABOUT 2'' THICK,AND ABOUT 5 BY 8 IN SIZE

That is the power train control module. The code is for the transmission control module.

The Transmission Control Module (TCM) is located behind the left fender and is fastened to the left frame rail forward of the suspension (Fig. 17). It mounts on a bracket that is fastened to the rail.

SO I BOUGHT THE WROUNG THING

Yes you bought the wrong part......You need to replace the transmission control module.

If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,

JB

THANKS, XXXXX XXXXX TO LEAVE THIS OPEN FOR A FEW MINUTES WHILE I GO OUT TO LOCATE THE PART

Here is information to replace it.

1. Disconnect battery negative cable.
  2. Raise vehicle on hoist.

Fig. 19 Wheel/Tire Removal/Installation

1. Remove left front wheel/tire assembly (Fig. 19).
  2. Remove wheel house splash shield.
  3. Remove TCM 60-way connector.

Fig. 20 TCM Removal/Installation

1. Remove three TCM bracket-to-body mounting screws (Fig. 20).
  2. Remove TCM from bracket (Fig. 20).

INSTALLATION

NOTE :If the transmission control module (TCM) is being replaced with a new or replacement unit, the Pinion Factor and Quick Learn procedures must be performed. (Refer to ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE/STANDARD PROCEDURE/PINION FACTOR PROCEDURE)(Refer to ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/STANDARD PROCEDURE/QUICK LEARN PROCEDURE)

1. Install TCM to mounting bracket and tighten four screws to 11 Nm (100 in. lbs.) .
  2. Install TCM/bracket assembly and fasten with three mounting screws (Fig. 20). Torque screws to 11 Nm (100 in. lbs.) torque.

CAUTION: TCM 60-way connector must be torqued within 30 - 40 in. lbs . Improper torque may result in connector damage, or connector sealing problems.

1. Connect the TCM 60-way connector and torque to 4 Nm (35 in. lbs.) .
  2. Install wheel house splash shield.
  3. Install left front wheel/tire assembly (Fig. 19). Torque lug nuts to 135 Nm (100 ft. lbs.) torque.
  4. Lower vehicle.
  5. Connect the battery negative cable.

ANY INFO ON THIS PINION FACTOR AND QUICK LEARN PROCEDURE, I'M GOOD SO FAR BUT DO I NEED A REPAIR SHOP OR DEALER TO DO THIS
It will take a scan tool to program it in.
SORRY ONE LAST QUESTION..... I CAN I JUST POP IN A USED ONE AND GO,OR WILL IT NEED TO BE RE SET UP, THANKS YOU'VE BEEN A GREAT HELP
As long as the used one is the "same" it will work. Has to come from the same year, engine size, transmission, etc. I don't think in this year and model the vin goes into this module so you should be ok. If your getting used the salvage yard should be able to tell you for sure.
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
brownjeff
brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician