Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

1999 Chrysler Sebring Lxi not changing gears. Replaced input

1999 Chrysler Sebring Lxi not...
1999 Chrysler Sebring Lxi not changing gears. Replaced input and output sensors. Check engine light went off and car started changing gears. Next day, check engine light came on and stopped changing gears again. Local auto parts store checked malfunction codes and they are P1788 and P0700. What is the malfunction?
8/20/2009
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

P1788 is for the 2/4 clutch hydraulic pressure switch. This code sets when the pressure switch is in the wrong state for a given gear, or there is a problem in the electrical circuit for the pressure switch. It could be internal trans (very rare), the pressure switch, wiring, or the trans controller. It's a failed pressure switch almost 100% of the time. All pressure switches and solenoids are located in the solenoid pack mounted to the front of the trans, right under the input speed sensor you replaced. Most likely it's going to take a solenoid pack to fix your problem.

Okay and what would the code P0700 represent?
Sorry. The P0700 sets in the engine controller any time there is a code stored in the trans controller (the P1788). The P0700 is merely informational and tells you to read the codes from the tcm, the code that matters is the 1788.
Is it called a transmission control solenoid? Any idea of estimated price?
Is it called a transmission control solenoid? Estimated price?
It's called the solenoid pack. A Mopar one from a dealer runs right at $200. You can pick up an aftermarket one for about $180.
Would you have any type of part number?
Lastly could you email a diagram of the location of the solenoid?

Sure. It's right on the front of the trans under the input speed sensor you replaced.

graphic

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician