How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Eric Your Own Question
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Category: Chrysler
Satisfied Customers: 32388
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
Type Your Chrysler Question Here...
Eric is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

2003 Chrysler Town & Country: with check engine light..reads..solenoid

Resolved Question:

I have a 2003 Chrysler Town & Country with check engine light on. OBD code reads P1776. Internet searches lead to a solenoid switch. Is this correct and how do I repair/replace.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.



MIL Illumination - DTC P1776 Solenoid Switch Valve Latched in LR Position


The solenoid switch valve is not part of the solenoid pack, but rather it is located inside the valve body. It will require a new solenoid switch valve, and possibly a new valve body it the bore where the valve resides is worn.


Unless you have rebuilt valve bodies professionally, I dont recommend this job being done at home. If not rebuilt precisely, and there are hundreds of parts inside the valve body, your transmission will not move, and in fact can be damaged.





Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does the valve body need to be rebuilt in order to replace the solenoid switch valve or just if it is worn? Where exactly is the valve body located?
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.



The valve body is inside the transmission itself. If the bore is worn that the switch valve seats into, then the valve body will need to be replaced, but all the little springs and ball bearings, and other parts that are housed in the valve body have to be transferred to the new unit. This is very tedious and exacting. Even the bolts that hold the valve body to the transmission are different lengths and if they are not put back in the correct position, the transmission will fail. This is not, I repeat, not a job for a weekend or backyard mechanic. As a matter of fact, not many general mechanics at repair shops will touch a valve body. Most shops have at least 1 transmission specialist on hand for doing these type of jobs.



Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Just to verify, I can replace the solenoid switch valve but if the bore is worn the valve body needs to be rebuilt which needs to be done by a professional.

Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.



Yes. In order to replace the switch, remove the transmission pan, remove trans filter to access the valve body. Disconnect the switch valve and pull switch valve out. Install new switch valve.


If new switch valve is loose inside the valve body where it seats, then valve body needs to be replaced and all the parts transferred from old one to the new one.

Eric and other Chrysler Specialists are ready to help you