Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

my chrysler mini van will not start. battery and alternator

ok. termanls ok. flashing lights...
my chrysler mini van will not start. battery and alternator ok. termanls ok. flashing lights on wiper switches when van is started.gauges act erratic
5/17/2009
Derrick
Derrick, ASE Certified Technician
Hi there,

This can be one of a few things. Either a bad starter, ignition switch, or wiring problem.

First, check to make sure your battery is fully charged and you battery cables are tight and free of corrosion. If they are loose or corroded, tighten/clean them before any further diagnosis.

Next, lets check the starter;

While someone is holding the key in the "crank" position tap on the starter with a hammer and if the engine begins to turn over, you have a bad starter. Another way to check is with a test light. With the test light, you should have power at the single (thin) wire going to the starter with the key in the "crank" position. If so, you have a bad starter, if not, you have another problem.

You most likely have a bad starter, they go bad ALL THE TIME on these vans.

An easy way to check the neutral safety switch;

While holding the key in the "crank" position, wiggle the shifter around in park and in neutral. If it starts, you have a bad neutral safety switch and it will need to be replaced.

You can also try to check the ignition switch by wiggling the key around in it to see if that causes it to start, but you most likely have a bad starter.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Derrick
Derrick, ASE Certified Technician
I know its not the starter. the van has flashing lights on four of the wiper switches. is this a code? i have mitchells on demand.is it the computer?

Could you elaborate more on these flashing lights? When and where are they occuring?

Does your check engine light come on when they key is turned on?

Thank you,

Derrick

I have no check engine light. the four flashing lights are down on the lower dash below the temp control. one is wiper control rear window,wash rear window,interm. wiper,ac control.one minute the car acts dead then it starts.we run it in day light onlly no battery light. odometer rolls. gauges cycle full deflection. thank you.
Derrick
Derrick
Derrick, ASE Certified Technician