Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

1999 300m: replacing..the sensor to release the shifter when the brake

Customer Question
i have a 1999 300m...
i have a 1999 300m the shifter broke in half. im replacing the shifter but i beleive it broke because the sensor to release the shifter when the brake is applied is no good. what is that sensor called, where is it located and can it be replaced?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chrysler
4/23/2009
Chrysler Mechanic: moparfl, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician

SHIFTER/IGNITION INTERLOCK

The ignition interlock system connects the automatic transmission shifter and the ignition lock system. With the ignition key in the LOCK or ACCESSORY position, the interlock system prevents the transmission from being shifted out of park. When the key is in the OFF or RUN position the shifter unlocks and can be moved to any gear position. The system also prevents the operator from turning the ignition key to the LOCK or ACCESSORY positions.

NOTE: If the vehicle has column shift, install a new interlock cassette (column shift) when replacing the ignition lock cylinder. Adjust the system after replacing the cassette. Refer to procedure in this group.

NOTE: If the vehicle has floor shift, adjust the interlock cable after replacing the lock cylinder.

FLOOR SHIFT INTERLOCK SERVICE

The interlock cable slides into the housing behind the lock cylinder and attaches to the floor mounted shifter. The floor shift interlock system is adjusted by an integral locking clip in the interlock assembly. If the system requires adjustment and not replacement, refer to the Floor Shift Interlock Adjustment procedure in this Group.

REMOVAL

1. Using suitable size allen wrench, remove the shift handle retaining screw
    Shift Handle Retaining Screw
  2. Remove shift handle from shifter assy.
  3. Remove console bezel from vehicle
    Floor Shifter Assembly
  4. Remove under panel silencer/duct assembly
  5. Remove column cover screws
  6. Tilt column down and remove upper half of column cover
  7. Tilt the column to the uppermost position and remove the tilt lever
    Panel Removal/Installation
    Lower Column Cover Screw Removal/Installation
    Upper Column Removal/Installation
    Tilt Lever Screw Removal/Installation
  8. Remove the ignition key and remove lower column cover
    Lower Column Cover Removal/Installation
  9. Remove the interlock cable from the shifter housing. Slide the cable out of the groove in the interlock lever
  10. Insert key and rotate to the off position. Depress the lock tab on the interlock cable and pull the cable out of the lock cylinder housing
    Interlock Cable at Shifter
    Interlock Cable Locking Tab
    Interlock Cable Removal/Installation
  11. Remove interlock cable.

INSTALLATION

1. Ensure ignition switch is in the "ON/RUN" position
  2. Route the interlock cable down the steering column and along the carpet to the shifter assy. Install clip to secure cable to gearshift cable.
  3. Slide the steering column end of the interlock cable into the lock cylinder housing until it snaps into place
  4. Turn the ignition key to the "LOCK" position
    Ignition Key/Switch Positions
  5. Put the shifter in the PARK position.
  6. Slide the interlock cable core wire into the groove on the lever Ensure the cable end seats in the groove.
  7. Slip the cable into the housing until it snaps into place.
  8. Ensure the shift lever remains in PARK. Move the ignition key to the "LOCK" position and remove the key. Tilt the steering column to the full UP position.
  9. If the interlock cable is being replaced, remove the lock pin Allow the cable to adjust itself to the correct position. Tighten the locking clip by pushing it down.

NOTE: Do not adjust interlock cable at nut as shown in

10. If the interlock cable is being re-used, the lock pin will not exist. Free adjustment by pulling outward on locking clip. The cable will index itself to the correct position. Tighten the locking clip by pushing it down.

Do Not Adjust Interlock Cable at this Location

.
  11. Insert the ignition key and verify the ignition interlock adjustment/operation:
Interlock verification:
  • With the ignition key in the LOCK position , the shifter SHOULD NOT be able to move out of PARK.
  • Turn the ignition key to the OFF position The shifter SHOULD be able to move out of PARK.
  • Turn the ignition key to the ON/RUN position The shifter SHOULD be able to move into ANY gear position.
  • The ignition key should not be able to be removed in any shifter positions except PARK.
  1. Install the bezel on the shifter console
  2. Install shifter handle
  3. Install upper and lower covers from the steering column
  4. Install tilt lever
  5. Install the lower silencer panel
moparfl
moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician