jeepmopar76
jeepmopar76, Chrysler Triple Master Tech
Experience:  32 yr ASE Master tech, 9 yr Chrysler Master Tech 13 years Chrysler Dealership service
16831211

2003 pt cruiser turbo: it started blowing white smoke..exhaust

I have a 2003 pt cruiser turbo it started blowing white smoke out the exhaust teh engine light did not come on nor di it over haet the rpm`s look fine ..it is dripping oil at the first clamp on the exhaust close to the engine does anyone know what this could be please
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  jeepmopar76 replied 8 years ago.
You have probably blown a turbo oil seal; there should be no oil dripping at the exhaust; easy fix, although not cheap; have the turbo replaced.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
there is oil at the first joint on the exhaust
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what could it be..would it be the engine?..can the turbo charger seals be replaced
Is it blue smoke , or white? White would be antifreeze. If you are sure it is oil, some further investigating will be nessesary.This isn't an easy job; i would take it to a dealer.If it is the turbo,the seals aren't replaceable, you need to replace the turbo charger;
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am certain it is oil..touched it ..it is white smoke though
If it's oil, it is a serious problem; I would get it looked at.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
but what could it be>?
The turbo, almost certainly, but it has to be checked; without looking at it, i cannot saty for sure that it is the turbo. These are known for blown turbo seals, but it ciould be rings or something else.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How would I be able to define if it is an engine problem versus exhaust
you must unbolt either,or both ends of the turbo, to see signs of oil, around the turbine shaft.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
if there is an engine problem will the turbo charger be coated with oil inside it in either case
if it is the seal, the fresh oil will be seen running down from under the shaft; if is an internal engine failure, the oil will be coming out from the head, through the exhaust manifold, mostly burnt from this area, and blown from the exhaust.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If it is the engine would my engine run fine?..it makes no noise and has no indication through engine heat light or check engine light ..

A bad or stuck ring could make it use oil, but still run OK until the plug fouled. But like i said several times, it is probably the turbo; i just wanted you t ounderstand hoe hard it is to diagnose for any kind of certainty, what it is or could be, without actually seeing it myself. I would lay money on the turbo,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If I pull the spark plugs and see oil on one of them does that mean I have an engine problem and would it show oil on the spark plugs if the engine was bad..I have alot of white smoke blowing out the pipe..Thank you so much for your patience with me..I appreciate your quality time and knowledge
If it is bellowing a lot of smoke, i would now say that I am 99.999% sure it is the turbo. A bad internal will smoke, but not tons of smoke.