Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

town..front blower motor will not turn on..rear unit works fine.

I own a town and...
I own a town and country 2001, the front blower motor will not turn on. The rear unit works fine. Any ideas would be great. Thanks and have a good day.
4/12/2009
quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician

hello, the most common culprit of this is the blower motor resistor.it is located behind the glove box. the following is the removal and diagnostics for the blower resistor.

REMOVAL

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

WARNING: THE BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR MAY GET VERY HOT DURING NORMAL OPERATION. IF THE BLOWER MOTOR WAS TURNED ON, WAIT FIVE MINUTES TO ALLOW THE BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR TO COOL BEFORE PERFORMING DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THIS PRECAUTION CAN RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY.

CAUTION: Do not operate the blower motor with the blower motor resistor removed from the circuit. Failure to take this precaution can result in vehicle damage.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Open the glove box.
  3. Flex both sides of the glove box bin inward near the top far enough for the rubber glove box stop bumpers to clear the sides of the glove box opening, then roll the glove box downward.
  4. Reach through the glove box opening to access and disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector for the blower motor resistor from the resistor connector receptacle (Blower Motor Resistor).
  5. Reach through the glove box opening to access and disconnect the blower motor pigtail wire connector from the resistor connector receptacle.
  6. Remove the two screws that secure the blower motor resistor to the evaporator housing.
  7. Remove the blower motor resistor from the evaporator housing.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR

Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, details of wire harness routing and retention, connector pin-out information and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.

2. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector for the blower motor resistor and the blower motor pigtail wire connector from the resistor connector receptacles.
  3. Check for continuity between each of the blower motor switch input terminals of the blower motor resistor and the resistor output terminal. In each case there should be continuity. If OK, repair the instrument panel wire harness circuits between the blower motor switch and the blower motor resistor or the blower motor pigtail wires as required. If not OK, replace the faulty blower motor resistor.
quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
i wanted to edit the answer prior to you accepting it, the first thing to check would be the fuse number 10 in the under hood fuse block,it is a 40 amp fuse and feeds power to the blower motor if it is good then proceed with checking the resistor.
After looking closer the blower Resistor was getting really hot. So I unpluged the blower and put 12 volts on blower motor plug. It wouldnt turn at all just hummed. Replaced with new and all is well. Its a real pain to remove and replace front blower motor but all is well now. Thanks and have a good day.

no problem im glad you got it fixed.

thanks

quickcar
quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician